Killer chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by halo, Feb 14, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have 5 chicks that I hatched about 10 days ago from Jody. I have them in a plastic storage bin that I got from Walmart...they make the best brooders. Anyway, I have them bedded on wood shavings, so I decided I needed to change their sheets. I put them in another brooder, went outside and dumped the old shavings in a flower bed, went to my shavings pile, scooped up some new fresh shavings, brought it back in the house. I set the brooder lamp up, put the water and feed back in, grabbed the chickies and put them in there, and left.

Well I heard such chickie screaching, I thought someone was being killed! I ran to their room, and saw one of the Aussies with a CRICKET in his mouth, running around the brooder with the other 4 in hot pursuit. I nearly cried I laughed so hard. I ran out to the barn and found 4 more crickets so each one could have one of his own. They are so entertaining!

Kathy

2. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    that is sooo funny! I get the little crickets from petsmart for my babies and the big ones for my big girls! They love them! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

lol i LOVE doing that! I buy them mini meal worms from petco all the time, they are pretty inexpensive, and its so funny seeing them run around trying to get away from the others. Plus I think it helps them come up to YOU if some are a bit apprehensive. Sometimes no one will even be following the one with the food if I'm still dishing out more, but the chick will think someone else is chasing it and still runs around screaming with the squirming worm in its beak. They are hilarious. [​IMG]

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    You know what he was cheeping, " Jackpot, jackpot, I hit the jackpot" [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You BUY crickets?? Come to my house, I just pick up an old feed bag and theres as many as I can possibly catch. I used to hate them, now they are chicken toys!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing. This house is overrun with them right now...as well as ladybugs thanks to the timber company. Every time I scoop one up to carry it outside I whisper to it....just wait till I get my chickens![​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    LOL. I cant wait to do that in spring.

8. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Me Too!

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That is so cute halo. I call it chickie football. LOL Even the big ones do it sometimes when they dig up a special treat outside..everyone chasing that lucky hen around to get some of the goodies. I still laugh when I see them. [​IMG]

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by