Killer Dogs in Hays County, Texas. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicaboo, Feb 15, 2012.

1. chicaboo

chicaboo New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    A Wimberly man lost a dozen or so chickens to two dogs. They were caught by trail-cam, and eventually picked up. The chickens were in their coop, and the dogs broke into the coop. He has only two birds out of 20 left. He tried chasing off the dogs, but they came back later. The owner of one of those dogs has started a huge campaign to change the laws so that a dog that kills someone's chickens is no longer subject to being put down, because her dog (a golden lab/pit bull mix) was put down. Many of the people responding to this campaign have said "It's just a chicken. It's just in the dog's nature." They have been aggressive and insensitive to the losses suffered by this man in Wimberly. As if "we're planning to pay for the birds" is more than enough.
    Haven't heard anyone in the media speaking up for the man who had birds murdered & that's a pitiful shame. It's important for lawmakers to hear people speak up on behalf of any domestic animals that might be killed by a dog at large. Please help get the word out.

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    This makes me so angry! What is the difference between a dog and a chicken? If a dog comes onto your property and kills any of your animals, regardless of species, you should have a right to shoot the dog. I love my dogs dearly but I make sure they are fenced or leashed at all times. And if the unthinkable should happen and one of my dogs were ever to break out and kill someone's chickens on their own property, I would be in the wrong...not the chicken owner! Dog owners have to be responsible for their dogs and not let them run at large.

2 people like this.
  4. chicaboo

chicaboo New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    This is my first BYC post. It's really a bad situation, because these so-called animal lovers didn't keep their animal home & they really don't seem to have any remorse for the fact that their dog went on a killing spree. Quite the opposite, in fact.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    That is unfortunately often the case. My goodness, I would be so embarrassed and apologetic if my dog were caught slaughtering someone's chickens, cats, rabbits, or whatever! But there are special snowflakes in this world who think everything revolves around them.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How very sad. People have as much right to have chickens as dogs in my beliefs anyway.

I am a lifelong dog lover BUT, not a lover of owners who let their dogs run loose. I have my own private war with people at the end of the field, that are furious because I walk by causing their assortment of large, mutts to pursue me barking and growling, with raised hackles. .This has been going on for years. When I reported it to a police woman - she said she'd talk to them and laughed. I know she must have said something to them because immediately afterwards I was the recipient of property vandalism. Also the culprits high school kids(and their cohorts) would yell obscenities when driving past me on the streets.- was egged twice ( nah nah they missed) and had some liquid dumped out their car window on me once.

It's a waste of time telling the police in our village. If chickens were involved, I'm sure they would say "the chickens were asking for it."

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    A person in Texas does have the right to shoot a dog attacking animals on his or her property, no matter the species being attacked. I think most states have similar laws.

Animals that are multiple offenders have to be put down. The owner should also have to replace the killed animals and pay a fine.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Is this within the city limits? Does the town have an ordinance against dogs running loose? What state are you in?

I know you shouldn't have to, but have you thought about walking somewhere else to avoid the dogs?

9. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    Thanks Bullitt. I looked that up right after posting, so I am glad that's the case. I agree that multiple offenders should be euthanized. I'm pretty sure these irresponsible dog owners would feel the same way about another dog that came onto their property and killed their own dog.

10. ponyup

ponyup Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Aubrey TX
    What a horrible situation. I have had neighbors go on vacation for the summer and just turn their dogs out to fend for themselves. Sadly some of the dogs were shot, others re-homed.

The article does not say how the ordinance will be changed, hope they will use their brains and do the right thing. If a person is able to handle it themselves that is always best, but that is not always possible.

Good luck to the Wimberly man!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by