Killer Geese???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 84chevy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 84chevy

84chevy New Egg

Feb 3, 2012
    Today, i came home to find the friendliest cat we own dead in my frontyard. he is an outdoor cat and has been his whole life. my dad says my geese killed him, but i find that very unlikely. my geese have no goslings and have been around this cat for two years now, the cat even slept in my barn. my dad says the geese pecked him to death, but there was no blood on him or puncture wounds. he is also a healthy cat who has front claws and four feet to run away with. i just find it very weird how geese would do this. has anyone ever seen this before??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although it may be possible, I doubt that the geese killed the cat unless it was very sick. A healthy cat would have no problem getting away from the geese.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. 84chevy

84chevy New Egg

Feb 3, 2012
    thats what i thought, im thinking a hawk got it and realized hes a pretty heavy cat and left him. and i know that if a duck dies on my farm the geese go around it and honk like mad until it is removed, so i beleive that is what they were doing

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    What is more likely, since you allow the cat to run free and take his chances with the world, is that the cat drank some antifreeze or ate a mouse that died of poison.

Antifreeze is attractive to animals and it can be in puddles by the road as well as in buckets in a garage where someone has changed the antifreeze in their car. It's just that time of year to be winterizing cars.

Take the cat down to you vet's and have a necropsy done, if you really want to know why it died. It could have even been an illness. There are lots of things cats can die from, and your cat was out and about, rubbing noses with every sick cat in the neighborhood. It could have been an impaction. It could have been cancer. Maybe the cat inhaled a foxtail into his lungs.

The chances that your geese killed the cat are about zero.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Agree.

Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by