Killer Gourmet Chocolate Ice Cream!!!

skeeter9

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Foothills of Central CA
So, my husband has had a craving for good chocolate ice cream lately, so I decided to try to make some starting with my usual vanilla custard ice cream recipe. I figured I would have to melt some unsweetened chocolate and incorporate it into the heated mixture, etc. Then, the other night we were watching Food Network and Alton Brown came on with one if his shows where he tells you the science behind whatever it is he's making. What Luck!!! He's making gourmet ice cream!!! So, I get out my pen and paper and settle in to learn all the secrets to making great ice cream. I didn't write down all the science stuff, because I was too tired to concentrate that hard, but the resulting ice cream is FANTASTIC!!!! My husband was all over this stuff, but he couldn't eat a large quantity because it's very rich.

Here goes:

The basic formula is 9-8-3-2-1. 9 ounces of sugar - 8 egg yolks - 3 cups 1/2 & 1/2 - 2 tsp vanilla - 1 cup cream. If you want to make chocolate you will also have to have 1/2 cup cocoa.

Place 1/2 & 1/2 and cream in a saucepan and bring just to a boil, then turn off heat.

Put egg yolks in a bowl ans whisk until they are light and creamy. Slowly whisk in sugar until it reaches the ribbon stage (there was some science involved here. . . ).

Temper hot cream into egg mixture, then put back into saucepan and heat on low, stirring frequently, until it reaches 170-175 degrees. (there was some science to this temperature, but I can't remember what it is). Put into a bowl and let cool for 1/2 hour. Add vanilla and refrigerate. Once mixture is cooled all the way down, put it into your ice cream freezer. . .

For the chocolate, add the cocoa powder to the 1 cup cream in the saucepan and blend well before adding the 1/2 & 1/2 and heating.

Alton also said you could use 1 tsp peppermint oil and chunked up chocolate/mint candies (like Andes mints) to make mint chip ice cream. I'm trying that next!!!!!

That sounds amazing!!!
droolin.gif
I might have to try that!!

Since I have lots of fresh goat milk available, I have been looking for good ice cream recipes too. I finally got it!! Im not sure which of the 2 changes I made were what made it so good, or a combination...

3 cups goat milk
2 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
5 fresh egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla (I probably put more than that)
3 TBS vodka!

I dont cook mine, just put it in the maker.
What I changed was using the yolks instead of the whole egg, and the vodka. It was not rock hard the next day!! And not icy at all! So creamy, smooth, perfect consistancy! Using vodka (or any liquor) since it doesnt freeze, it makes it so it doesnt get super hard and icy! oooo it was SO good!!! Better than Breyers!
smile.png

you can make it chocolate or whatever flavor you want my modifying the recipe and add cocoa or fruit... (I hate chocolate) lol

Oh, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I saw this episode the other night, too. I was just too tired to copy anything down. My DH really likes Alton Brown and his way of making and explaining things. We'll try this ice cream this weekend.

BTW, how was the ice cream the next day? Still creamy?

Thanks again.

prairiegirl

Prariegirl, the next day the ice cream was still creamy and delicious. It was frozen very hard by that time, so I just popped it into the microwave to soften it up a bit. Yummmmm!!!

Back
Top Bottom