1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Killer Kitty is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Dec 28, 2007.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I cut and pasted this from earlier post (Killer Kitty is M.I.A.), which took me a long time to type.
    *****UPDATE*****

Killer Kitty is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We are not sure how it happened in the first place or how on earth she survived, but my SO went to one of the far outbuildings today to check on the heating situation. It's an old pump house that we don't use anymore, but we have to keep an eye on the pipes in there and burn a heat bulb to keep them from freezing. As he was exiting the building, who should sitting up the door casing looking down at him but Killer Kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My SO tells me there used to be an big ol' rat in there too...maybe that has something to do with Kitty's survival. She was gone (locked in there) for a total of 11 days.
    I woke up this morning feeling absolutely horrible from health issues (was crying from misery) and now I'm crying from being happy!!
    Funny thing is we have Jake the brainless border collie to thank for Kitty's rescue. If he hadn't totally destroyed one of the house well pump coverings in the night there wouldn't have been any reason for the SO to go out to that particular building before spring.
    And yep, I did manage to feed all of her bag of dry food to the dogs just yesterday, so she shows up today. Luckily, I still had one can of kitty food left and we let her eat half of it...gonna give her the rest later but didn't want her to be sick from eating too much too fast.

Thanks to all that provided their support.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Fantastic!!! I love a happy ending.

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    THRILLED FOR YOU [​IMG]

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Im so glad hes back, Just watch his kidneys later, he may have got dehydrated in there unless some water got in somehow.
    Im so glad for you, its funny how these things happen for a reason , I wonder if Jake heard him in there and knew he was stuck, im sure he would have, and he has done this to get you over there.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so glad you found her in time. I thought the first thing you did was check your own buildings to see if she got shut in!

(Edited to add that the above post about kidneys is important - if she hasn't had water in that long, it's too long, and she may have medical issues needing attention.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I bet Jake knew he was in there!
    I'm so glad for you - you must be bursting with joy!

7. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Cngrats to Jake-did he get a treat? I am sure he knew the cat was in there.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We DID check outbuildings, but didn't see any reason to check this one....it's far off and we hardly ever go in there. It actually houses the well cap for the old homestead. Neither of us remembers going in there the day of her disappearance. Hard lesson learned for both us and Kitty. Thinking maybe Kitty licked condensation off of the pipes?

Thanks y'all for the reminder about her kidneys...gonna call the vet right now. And oh, kitty wasn't "home" 3 hours and I opened the door to let Charlie in and Kitty ran in carrying a mouse. I think it was meant to be a gift for my SO for saving her. Jake got a big ol' ham bone for his good deed.

9. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

I know exactly how you feel! My cat Autumn (my farm is named for 2 of my cats) is an indoor/outdoor cat who has been gone once for 5 weeks----and she came back pregnant!
    I do still wonder who she was living with! [​IMG]

10. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    [​IMG]:weee:weee:weee:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by