Killer parakeet named pete

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Savannah Poultry, May 19, 2010.

1. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    I have a parakeet that we think is a male. We got him at a pet store with one other. Well sadly he killed that one! [​IMG] then we got another one and he killed that one too! her name was yara! [​IMG] So we haven't gotten anymore after that and he lives alone. I feel bad for him cuz he just sits in the cage and screams all day! what would make him kill other parakeets? Would we ever be able to get another?

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    WOW, how strange. I don't know why he would not want company. Maybe if you put a mirror in the cage he would be happy.

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    He's got a mirror! He doesn't EVER use it though. He's so strange!

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Get him some agression toys. The ones they have for parrots that are meant to tear up. We had a love bird like that. He was not very loving. Ask his 2 dead mates. He killed 2 females and we decided to turn him into a monk. Man he would tear into those toys. He seemed to enjoy it though. We also got him a small parrot tent. Its a fuzzy tent that hangs in the cage. He loved that. He cuddled into it and was very content. They can be happy alone. Just have to provide those comforts and activities to make up for what he is lacking in company. Don't buy him any more friends though.

5. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hen that attacks her sister, after a few bloody battles and hoping she'd chill out I finally seperated her from the others. Sounds like your bird may be like her, she wont play with toys and she started biting me at 2 weeks old. I have no solution to the problem other than solitary confinement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by