Killer Rooster !

Lille41

Hatching
Jun 19, 2018
So... I had five hens for about 10 months and they seemed quite happy. Bought them a rooster about three weeks ago and this past week he's killed three of them. That is .... something has killed three of them. But since the only thing that changed was the introduction of the rooster. So although I wasn't home when they were killed I strongly suspect it was him.

My question is...Is that common or did I just manage to get a real bad one ?

Thank you,

Lille

So... I had five hens for about 10 months and they seemed quite happy. Bought them a rooster about three weeks ago and this past week he's killed three of them. That is .... something has killed three of them. But since the only thing that changed was the introduction of the rooster. So although I wasn't home when they were killed I strongly suspect it was him.

My question is...Is that common or did I just manage to get a real bad one ?

Thank you,

Lille
What did they look like, as in what types of wounds did they have? You'll need to be sure that it's the roo and not something that's getting past him. I would definitely separate them until you know. And if the rooster is actually killing off your ladies, methinks it's time to return the favor!

Hello MROO,

Thanks for the quick response.

I was actually away for the past week but while I was gone my wife called me and told me about what had happened. So I didn't actually get to see the birds but all I know is that she said it was a real " blood bath " ! She say's there was blood and feathers everywhere. Anyway the rooster is leaving tomorrow but I was curious if this is something that happens often or it was quite unusual.

Thanks again for your reply.

Predators happen all the time. They are the top expense and worry of chicken keepers everywhere. Predators of all kinds - from coons and weasels to hawks and the neighbors' pets - are the reason we spend so much time and energy, not to mention money, on predator-proofing our coops and runs. And people think we're in it for the "free" eggs!

There are lots of things that could have killed your hens, but there are lot s of questions to ask before you can know. Are your chickens free-range? Were they in a coop or a run when they were killed? If they were, how predator proof is it?

Google "What Killed My Chicken?" There are some pretty specific details about what each type of predator leaves behind, right down to a description of feather patterns on the ground and which body parts are eaten or damaged ... or left untouched. For instance, dogs will leave a "blood bath" with feathers and bodies strewn everywhere. They kill just because those nifty chicken-toys are fun to chase, but no fun to play with once they're dead... so they move on to the next one.

Roosters don't generally kill their hens, and if the aftermath was that messy, he wouldnt come through the fight without considerable damage to himself. So, don't be too quick to blame your roo. If something else got your chickens, he may be what saved your last two hens!

I like this predator identifier
http://www.poultrydvm.com/predator-identifier.php

I wouldn’t expect a rooster to kill them. Maybe be a bit rough, getting to know them, ya know what I mean, but kill? I had one accidentally kill a hen by trying to mount her, she tried to run, and I think he slammed her into the fence. Only thing I could come up with. But in my experience, unless he’s way too large for them, hens can usually put a rooster in his place.

Wow, Thanks! I just checked it out, and that's a really good resource! After my hawk attack, last summer, I just hope I never have a reason to use it. I know, I know ... false hope ... but a gal can dream, right?

Hopefully the only use you will have for it is sharing it with others. :p
But yea, it seems to be pretty accurate, far as i can tell.

There is a symptom checker there also, for sicknesses and such. It’s pretty awesome too.

Back
Top Bottom