Killing chickens for Sunday lunch

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ronnie2, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Ronnie2

Ronnie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    I was looking at cone's this morning, for putting chickens upside down to suffocate. I must have been six when I would go visit my Grandparents who lived in the country outside of Palestine. My Grandmother would go to the chicken yard, and select a pair, and would bring them up to her house. She had an aluminum bucket with a swing over handle, and she would put both chickens in the bucket, with there heads underneath their body, and then we would just walk away. All I remember was we had some of the best fried chicken and gravy when my parents would take us out to their house for Sunday lunch. They had a Jersey milk cow, she would milk every morning, then come in and churn butter in a butter churn, with a wooden stick. I do miss both my Grandparents, and the, from scratch good eats. No frozen TV dinners, of fast foods back then.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Nice to meet you Ronnie.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Ronnie [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    Thanks Drumstick for the nice words

5. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    Thanks Telia!!!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed