Killing chickens!!!!!

Poultryraiser

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
Hi,
I have a problem with bobcats and
skunks killing my chiken in the coop have any ideas!!!!!!!!! They just dig under or go through the wire!!!

Last edited:
Other than predator-proofing your run and coop, there is not much else you can do. Secure it like fort knox.

Sorry bout your loss
sad.png

i think the first step would be to find out how the predators are getting into the coop and fix that or those problems. a description of your coop and pictures of your coop would get you better answers from everyone here on the forum.

Attach some wire or hardware cloth to the bottom of the fence and lay it out at 90 degrees from the fence either along the top of the ground or dig down a few inches if you don't want it to show.

normally bobcats dont go on killing sprees alot they normally kill one and come back everyday for a meal.
hope you get your coop safe

someone else on another thread suggested getting a dog

(my feeling, that would work pretty well)

I might also suggest, get motion-sensor lights (assuming from what I know about bobcats and skunks, that they'd prefer to poach in darkness)

bobcats are generally pretty shy (used to own a bobcat cross); they like quiet, privacy, and darkness, don't like being exposed

might not work as well for skunks ... some people say that a line of mothballs around the perimeter of property will keep skunks away

another idea, can you rig up a sprinkler to go on, along with the motion-sensor light ? both bobcats and skunks dislike getting wet ... I think there is a pest-repelling sprinkler on the market ...

Candy

Back
Top Bottom