Killing Cones

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BRsRock, Apr 11, 2011.

1. BRsRock

BRsRock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    I have a relative who does metal work and is willing to make some killing cones for me. The only thing is, I need dimensions. Anybody know what they are?

2. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
  3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Easy plans. I also like the transport boxes. I think I have everything to build one or two. The wood I'm going to actually use was slated for the burn pile. [​IMG]

4. BRsRock

BRsRock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Quote:Thanks.[​IMG] I'll print it out for him and see what he can do with it.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    If you know anyone that has bought the Whizbang plucker book, there is a great pattern in there for killing cones. They have worked well for all sizes of birds for me. I am getting ready to make a few more. If I get a chance, I will scan it in and post it.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    For some reason, we don't have any luck with the cones. We just hang them by feet and cut. I don't know what it is they always seem to either get stuck or flop out, and we have a large one.
    Michele

7. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    Quote:Michelle,
    Homemade cones or did you buy them? If homemade have you tried to modify your design to see if it helps? I think that plan I linked to uses 16" metal but I used 20 because it's what I had. I also made it slightly smaller top and bottom after trying it out.

Have you tried a bleach bottle? Have you tried an orange road cone?

I don't care to hang them by their feet because I don't like the flapping. Cones hug the bird till it rests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by