Killing Horses for Humans to Eat!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wbruder17, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I know this isn't about chickens, but we are animal people, not just chicken people. Has anyone else heard about this? The House and Senate just approved a bill legalizing the slaughter of horses for human consumption and OBAMA SIGNED IT IN TO LAW!! On November 18th.

Are they kidding? This is preposterous!

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Quote:Why??? Horse meat is delicious. I ate in Japan, not knowing at the time what it was, but it was very good.

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why??? Horse meat is delicious. I ate in Japan, not knowing at the time what it was, but it was very good.

it's funny how some people can put one thing (a horse) over another (a cow)

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK I've had it to along with puppy. Didn't know pony and puppy were really just that.

Horse meat was salty and the puppy was great. And yes when I found out I threw up all over the place and was sick for days. No from the taste but the idea.

I'd just like to know what it is that we're running out of to make them think we need to do this.

5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

it's really better for the horses when they stopped allowing it a few years ago horses started being starved to death it's the same as chickens that don't lay anymore but cant be killed

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's all purely cultural. It makes no difference, except to the beast we choose to eat versus those we grant some kind of irrational, emotional pardon or exemption from eating.

In many, many countries, horse meat has always been eaten, just as other cultures eat chicken, fish or beef or just as Southeast Asians, Korea and Native Americans eat/ate dog. We assign these values culturally. There is no rational, intrinsic difference in the various creatures.

1 person likes this.
  7. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    America has been the #1 exporter of horse meat for a long time, most of it goes to south america from what I understand it certainly isnt anything new.

8. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    It is sad, but there is a glut of them for sale. I guess people can't afford to feed them. They were selling for $10 each at the auction last week:-(

9. afchicken

afchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    Fred's Hens :

It's all purely cultural. It makes no difference, except to the beast we choose to eat versus those we grant some kind of irrational, emotional pardon or exemption from eating.

In many, many countries, horse meat has always been eaten, just as other cultures eat chicken, fish or beef or just as Southeast Asians, Korea and Native Americans eat/ate dog. We assign these values culturally. There is no rational, intrinsic difference in the various creatures.

little fun fact im in korea atm and they actually have a breed of dog bred purely for meet and it is very expensive(i always thought they just ate like the family pet when it got too big or old to do anything with)​

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Quote:x2 And it's just like me with my birds: other people slaughter and/or eat them, but if I had one, I never would. (And that goes as equally for a cow as it does for a horse. [​IMG] I'm an animal person.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by