Killing me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BerrytangleFarm, Feb 1, 2011.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

la, la, la, la, la, la,

Sitting and staring at some be-utiful eggs and glancing up at a perfectly warmed incubator.

The only problem is that the eggs are not IN the incubator. They're waiting (more patiently than I) for eggs due at my doorstep tomorrow that will then have to sit and rest for ANOTHER day.

It's just WRONG.

la, la, la, la, la, la,

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Do they REALLY have to sit for a WHOLE 'nother day?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:No. 8-12 hours yes.

4. BerrytangleFarm

Quote:No. 8-12 hours yes.

8, 12, 24 hours...............poor little (tiny) Serama eggs are pining away for their warm home.............[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

As long as you are turning them whilst they're waiting to be warmed up!

6. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:I did not turn any of the EE eggs that sat in my basement for 2(or more) weeks prior to setting, and all 12 of them are developing just as they should be(better than the group collected within 4 days prior to setting)... [​IMG] I will post pics of the little darlings as soon as they are done hatching.. roughly.. 7 days from now. [​IMG]

7. BerrytangleFarm

Quote:Yep, turning away in my 60-something degree bedroom (I like it cold when I sleep [​IMG] . Lonely and turning......

And the post office is playing with my nerves by not updating the status of my eggs......SOOOOO unfair!

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I did not turn any of the EE eggs that sat in my basement for 2(or more) weeks prior to setting, and all 12 of them are developing just as they should be(better than the group collected within 4 days prior to setting)... [​IMG] I will post pics of the little darlings as soon as they are done hatching.. roughly.. 7 days from now. [​IMG]

Will they hatch at 2 weeks, I thought viability was 10 days?

9. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County

Will they hatch at 2 weeks, I thought viability was 10 days?

Well, like I said, they(the 2 wks in the basement ones) are developing properly, from what I can see with candling. All signs are showing that every last one of them should hatch out just fine.
    I am going to attempt, for purely curiousity's sake, setting the remaining 12 from the basement that, once the current 'bator clutch has hatched, will have been there for roughly 5 weeks(no turning). I will be posting a new topic thread entitled 5 Week Old Basement Eggs - Incubation Experiment and I intend to post pictures from each candling of each egg.

10. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    3 Hrs 40 Mins until LOCKDOWN!!! I turn them for the last time at 4pm, then it's time to put fresh batteries into the flashlight for the final candling!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by