killing mice and protecting the girls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sambia62, Nov 13, 2011.

1. sambia62

sambia62 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    I am concerned about mice is there any way to kill them without harming the chickens I am afraid to use bait block and decon things such as that I have never actually seen any mice but just want to take all precautions any ideas of things i can do to keep the mice out of the coop and still protect my girls ?

2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Get a cat. They can co-exist with chickens. [​IMG] We have two excellent mousers and they never mess with the chickens.

Here's our Tawnta kitty hanging out in the coop just the other night:
    [​IMG]

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I second the "get a cat" vote. Two winters ago I started seeing mice scurry across the floor in the shed where the chickens are housed. After having NO luck with traps, I picked up two cats (a momma and a kitten) from a local shelter. It didn't take long for the rodents to disappear in the shed....and then around the yard....and this fall - no furry rodents in the house (we usually catch a few in the fall that find their way into the house).
    My cats leave the chickens alone. Although they are expensive to feed and properly vaccinate, if you chose to follow this route, they have been a delightful addition to the farm [​IMG]

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Ditto LiLRedCV.

We have a wonderful calico kitty who loves to hang out in the chicken coop, but her absolute favorite is napping on top of the brooder. On average we get a dead varmint (rat, mouse, etc.) each night, plus a few more she leaves out for the chickens to eat. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    My chickens kill mice. Then eat them.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Use traps inside boxes or wire cages

7. sambia62

sambia62 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    thanks this give me a couple of options i am not a real big cat person actually they freak me out but since they wont actually live in my house maybe I can deal with them
    [​IMG]

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I was considering a cat to take care of our mice problem, but was afraid they'd see my bantam EEs as prey and attack them. Anyone have trouble with cats harming their bantam chickens?

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I do the traps in the milk crates. Unfortunately I forget to check them all.Not an issue unless it is summer hot,lol.

10. Bamboo Dude

Bamboo Dude Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    We use traps in our feed room. Victor brand works best and last longest. Bait with peanut butter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by