1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Killing Mosquitoes?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickens-246, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Chickens-246

Chickens-246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Has anyone had luck with one of those mosquito traps, the one's that use propane?

What brand/model?

2. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    That sounds bogus to me! [​IMG]
    Mosquitoes breed in the water so I use the "Mosquito Dunks". You can find them just about anywhere--garden center, hardware store, Walmart, etc.
    Its a donut-shaped disk that you put into water where they breed. It kills the larvae.

3. Chickens-246

Chickens-246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    I guess I should have included a link... http://www.mosquitomagnetdepot.com/?source=google

Basically
    , they simulate something living with heat, moisture, carbon dioxide and scent. Then suck them into a trap.

The "Mosquito Dunks" would be a good idea, however I live in the middle of the desert and have no idea where they are breeding at.

4. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    we tried one in northern virginia for a couple years - pretty expensive and useless....

5. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Yeah actually I tried one too. It caught skeeters somewhat, but it never really seemed to stop the biting. The only thing that REALLY cuts mosquitoes down is to kill them where they breed. Those mosquito dunks really help.

Here are some other tips:

Mosquito Control Check List:

* Dispose of all water holding containers such as, plastic jugs, empty barrels, tin cans, buckets, bottles, etc.

* Dispose of old tires. Old tires have become the most prolific mosquito producer in this country.

* Turn over canoes and small boats or cover them with a tarp. If covering with a tarp, make sure the tarp does not sag down and collect water.

* Cover trash containers or drill holes in the bottom of recycle containers to keep rain water out.

* Empty wading pools weekly or store inside when not in use.

* Change water in birdbaths weekly.

* Keep drains and ditches clean so water will drain properly.

* Keep grass cut short and shrubbery trimmed so adult mosquitoes do not hide in the shaded areas during the day.

* Fill in hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.

* Inspect eave troughs to assure water is draining properly.

* Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish. Water gardens may become major mosquito producers if allowed to stagnate.

Protection Against Mosquitoes. (which most of this is common knowledge and I'm sure you already know it, but it seems the only REAL ways to protect yourself)

* Keep grass and shrubs trimmed. Mosquitoes take cover in shaded areas during hot sunny days.

* Wear light-colored long-sleeved shirts and pants.

* Apply repellants to clothing and exposed skin. Repellants containing DEET have been proven to be most effective. For casual use, products with 10% -35% DEET will provide adequate protection for most conditions. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that repellants used on children contain no more than 10% DEET. Always read and follow directions on label.

* Use screens on windows and doors.

* If possible avoid outdoor activity at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.

* Use yellow light bulbs for outdoor lighting purposes.

OH Also here are some Mosquito Myths:

* You can repel mosquitoes with electric devices that emit high-frequency sounds.

FALSE – Scientific studies have repeatedly NOT shown that electronic mosquito repellers prevent mosquitoes from biting. In most cases the claims made by distributors border on fraud.

* Electrocuting devices help reduce mosquitoes around the house.

FALSE – Bug zappers kill a lot of insects but very few of these insects are considered pests. In fact, many of the insects killed are beneficial insects that would otherwise serve as food for wildlife. Comparison trappings have shown no significant difference in mosquito populations in yards with and without traps.

* Citrosa plants will repel mosquitoes.

FALSE – The Citrosa plant alone will not repel mosquitoes. The Citrosa plant is a household plant that produces citronella oil, which is known to have mosquito-repelling properties. Although the concept of the plant emitting such a barrier appears sounds, the claims have not stood up to scientific testing. Tests conducted in Florida indicate that Citrosa plants did not reduce the number of bites received by test subjects. In fact, mosquitoes were found to land on the plant, indication that the plants did not emit enough citronella oil to repel the mosquito.

* Bats will eat thousands of mosquitoes each night and therefore help control mosquito populations.

FALSE – Research has shown that insectivorous bats are selective feeders and mosquitoes make up a very small percent of their diet. They will typically feed on the larger insects. Bats can also harbor and transmit rabies. Bats are not an adequate means in controlling the population of mosquitoes.

(Note: The City of Pierre received a communication from Joel Tigner at Batworks-A Chiropteran Consultancy in Rapid City, SD. To read further on Bats vs. Mosquitoes go to Bats and Mosquitoes )

* Purple Martins will eat thousands of mosquito populations.

FALSE – Purple Martins will eat mosquitoes, but they are selective eaters and will select the larger insect over the mosquito. Tests have shown 1% - 3% of the Purple Martin diet consists of mosquitoes

More information regarding the West Nile Virus issue and mosquito problems can be found at the South Dakota County Extension Service website at http://sdces.sdstate.edu

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  6. outbackbill

outbackbill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Schellsburg
    I got a email about Listerine keeping mosquitoes away. I'm one of those who will get bit by the one bug and 100 people. Tried the listerine. Spray it around and they leave. If I am up in the woods and spray listerine on me and around I don't get bit. Worth a try and a lot cheaper than other stuff.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I use a propane powered Mosquito Magnet and have used it for 5 years. I LOVE it, love it, love it. I live in an area where being outside from April to September is darn near impossible without bathing in DEET. I practically live outside, so I had to declare war on the biting insect population. The Mosquito Magnet is very effective. I love emptying the bag once every 21 days and seeing the hundreds of dessicated mosquitoes it has captured. The Dunks also work well. I use them monthly in any standing water larger than a puddle I see around my property. They have no effect on reptiles, amphibians or fish, just mosquitoes. I also went down to Petco and grabbed $20 worth of feeder goldfish to stock my pond and the neighbors' ponds. Those feeder goldfish are nearly a foot long now and keep the ponds pretty clear of insects. I do a couple other things to resolve the insect problems around here, as well. It is quite tolerable being outside now.
    ETA- I have a Liberty model, now. I am upgrading in the next couple years to one of the battery powered models so I can cover a broader territory.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    We use ours, bought it on Ebay, and absolutely love it, except that it is expensive to buy the bait and the sticky paper - I just bought the refills today, costs about $45 plus the propane refill
    I have the Blue Rhino Skeetervac for 1/2 acre

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by