Killing/ processing chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by srd5757, Jan 18, 2013.

1. srd5757

srd5757 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Manhattan, Ks
    Not to get in the middle of a heated debate, but for those of you researching as I was/am.
    I found this video when we were going to kill our first rooster.

I really am drawn to how calm and relaxed everything is, and this is how I am going to try to slaughter our meat chickens who will be 8 weeks next week. We were not able to do our roosters this way as they were both quite flighty and wouldn't have ever calmed down enough for this, however, I think our docile cornish crosses will.
    I just wanted to share this with people. I'm sure there are others out there like me, I know that the chicken is dead but there is something too brutal about just cutting off it's head. Looking for a calmer way.

2 people like this.
  2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    This is how I do my roosters and older hens and I have to say that it does really work. I think it helps if you are calm and relaxed when you go to get the birds and do the actually processing. The only things I have added to this is that I process early morning while it's still not very light out since that also calms chickens. This is definitely the way to go in my book.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I also like the calmness of the birds. I also believe it helps keep the meat from getting a strong taste. Thanks for posting the link. :thumbsup

4. chickenman700

chickenman700 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    This is the way to go for sure.

5. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I do like the calmness, but, and I am new to this, it seems to me, the chicken will be better off just cutting the head off or breaking the neck right away, rather than cut and bleed, then rip the head off with your hands...

I am in no way judging the method, the birds are calm, she obviously has a deep respect for the animal, and is very practical.

It would just seem that a quick "off with their heads" in one quick motion ends it quicker.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I used that same video as reference when I progressed my first bird. Great resource. I like her overall attitude.

7. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    Thank you for sharing. I had contemplated this part of chicken keeping. We are town dwellers and will be limited to six chickens, it will not be feasible to hang on to old hens that no longer lay. I think this would be not TOO traumatizing for either party.. I always imagined the screeching chicken, then running around with it's head cut off. Not something I was looking too much forward to. This I can handle.

8. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I really like how she does things, and sometimes want to wear pink when we process (if you saw that part of her video). [​IMG] It's definitely very hands-on, and may not be for everyone, though.

9. srd5757

srd5757 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Manhattan, Ks
    I liked that it was all calm. And as for the off with the head part being quicker, I believe that they bleed out incredibly quickly and basically 'go to sleep'. And, I believe then that they don't have the running around like a chicken w/ head cut off part. I however would use a knife to remove the head. I just feel that over all this approach seemed to be much more respectful and relaxed. And yes, I will probably be dawning some pink!!! ;)

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yup, I came across this video, after my first experience. The first thing I processed was a muscovy drake and I decided on the axe. It did not go well. I felt very bad as it took me 2 or 3 chops. I basically ended up severing the jugular but not the head. [​IMG]

Now, I slit jugulars. Its much calmer and since I don't process a ton of birds at a time, makes me feel better about it. Works for chickens, ducks and geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by