Killing roosters that were raised for laying?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kmcdermid, Aug 11, 2010.

1. kmcdermid

kmcdermid New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    We have a 4 month old rooster that we bought as a day old chick hoping it would be laying female one day. He has been raised with 3 other day old chicks (now growing hens) and all have been fed on layer/all purpose crumble and allowed to free range in our yard. We would like to slaughter him now for meat but my question is whether it's safe to eat him since he has never eaten medicated feed or been vaccinated. He looks extremely healthy (he's a beautiful, shiny Australorp), has never been ill, and is a good weight. It seems like such a waste to have to get rid of him any other way but we want to be safe especially as we will be feeding the meat to our 5 year old daughter. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would think he's fine to eat, I plan on doing the same to my extra roos.

3. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Yum Yum eat em up! You raised him from a chick. He is probaly heathier than any store bought chicken.

4. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I would think it would be safer to eat unmediated/unvaccinated birds. Vaccines have some nasty things in them.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I would much rather eat a non-medicated roo, reater one that has been "contaminated". The cows I get to butcher have never seen medication, & it's the best tasting meat I've ever eaten! [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes it is safe and fine. In fact there is a withdrawl period prior to butcher if you had medicated/vacinated him.

7. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    People have been doing that for generations. Kudos to you. Enjoy!!

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    My two RIR x EE mix roosters were absolutely delicious. We have more roosters that were by products of our laying hens and we are eager to eat them. They had SO much dark meat, yum. Thanks Hansel and Princess, you were so delicious and I hope you enjoyed your time on this earth.

9. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Yum homegrown free ranged roosters are delicious. Should have some nice really dark meat on the legs. It's very rich. Very good.

10. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    We raised our first batch of heirloom straight run, on organic, non medicated food, because we do not want that in our bodys..I hear alot of talk about the difference in rooster meat..this worrys me, as I have 25 cockerals freedom rangers tommorow coming from the hatchery..Is there a difference in hen meat if butchered by 12 weeks? I was told NOT...Ive noticed that the heirloom roosters we just harvested had hardly any breast at all...Wondering if thats a breed thing, or a free range thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by