Killing still makes me sad...esp. youngsters

Bizzybirdy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
North of Nashville
I am so sad tonight. The last few days I noticed a very severe lack of eggs in one of the chicken houses, which is like a fortress, so I have been going out with a flashlight looking in the window and haven't seen a thing...until tonight. There sitting on top of a table next to one of my hens was a little baby Possum. Apparently he had come in one day and stayed around.

Needless to say a long time ago when I let some babies grow up around here they eventually went after my hens and not just the eggs soooo....I chased it away from the hen and, after a long time trying to make peace with whomever, shot the poor little thing with my 22. Now I am Boo-hooing over it. It was so cute. I have no problem dispatching a grown mean varmint but a baby gets to me.

That said....I LOVE my chickens and will/do protect them against all evils.

Sorry you had to do that, but I'm sure your chooks appreciate it.
hugs.gif

Hugs to you Bizzy
hugs.gif
you did the right thing. Now, to make yourself feel better, think of the terror that cute little critter would have given your flock. Did you check out it's baby razor-sharp teeth? That is why you are the flock keeper, so you did the right thing. Your birds are happier for your diligence. Hugs........HenZ

>>......but I'm sure your chooks appreciate it. <<

You bet...no one even moved off of the perches or "said" a word, even with 2 shots fired in their house!

It was so cute but I remember the last mean grown ones around. Just couldn't let it grow up to be like that and hurt one of my permanent tenants.
D.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Only you guys on BYC understand stuff like this.

baby possums grow into adult possums,adult possums make more baby possums,they eat eggs,baby chicks,good job,you done the right thing
thumbsup.gif

Just a FYI from me to everyone , If i see anything with in about 30feet of my chicken coop i shoot and kill it . Ive had WAY WAY WAYYYY to many chickens die due to these things we call pests and im not taking it anymore , so 30 feet from coop , you are dead . I use a .22 Long Range Rifle with a High velocity Hollow point round .

.....One Shot, One Kill......

>> I use a .22 Long Range Rifle with a High velocity Hollow point round <<

That's what I use for close kills...can't use it for far away because my neighbors are near. Had a bullet plow into my neighbors porch pillar a long time ago using the 22.
barnie.gif
Good thing he wasn't sitting outside!! Geeeesh, was I embarrassed!

I use a 20g pump (Winchester) for outside in the fields or trees now. Doesn't go as far.

Back
Top Bottom