killing the rooster and visiting wild bird

Granma in Costa Rica

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Friday, June 26, 2009

Hi all

Life is good. I did manage to get a photo of that stupid “Chicken-duck” bird that hangs around with my chickens. It turned out to be a grey headed wood rail.
35034_wood_rail23_2009_0704.jpg

Speaking of chickens…and I frequently do, I have tried many things to improve the egg laying situation and I think they are paying off. I got three white eggs two days in a row. I cleaned all their beds. I gave them a pound of special Omega three fortified hemp seeds and I put a contract hit out on Roxy the young rooster.

This time, Juliet got the free dinner. Roxy lived in the tree next to the coop and Juliet and her friend came and got him last night.
35034_jun_22_2009_0714.jpg
There was loud squawking. I missed his distinctive crow this morning, but it had to be done. He was like a bratty teenager…always hanging around and the minute he could catch one of Mr. Bills’ ladies alone, he would go after her. They did not like the attention. They squawked and hollered and Mr. Bill would come running (well actually waddling… he is kind of fat!). If I let Roxy grow to the point where his spurs are developed, there would be cock fights between Roxy and Mr. Bill and both would get injured leading to disease etc… not to mention the stress on the laying hens.

Selvin was supposed to come and catch the rooster last Sunday for Juliet, but as some of you may know, he procrastinates… unfortunately in the week between, White Chickie with two of her surviving chicks sort of bonded with Roxy and joined him in the tree outside of the coop at night. Hope she gets back in the coop soon.

btw, on my wish list, if any of you have a set of vernier calipers that you can spare, I sure would love to measure my eggs. (demented, I know, but I have found 3,000 other demented chicken people at “Backyardchickens.com.”) <grin>

Nice birds Grandma what part of CR do you live we go to Tamarando every year and love it The chickens look so good in the store no fat or uck so I trying to raise some chickens so I can be a CR chicken farmer someday. check out my BYC page Pura Vida Matoe

Back
Top Bottom