killing

fowlsessed

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 16, 2011
east Tennessee
Will pulling the head off of a quail kill it quick? Just want to make sure it's not going to be flapping around once it's head is gone, also how easy is it compared to something like peeling a banana. I plan on butchering some quail today so any other advice would be appreciated. thanks

It will kill it instantly, however any method of killing will cause the bird to flap around. It's nerves.... Quail are very easy to process. Water at 150 degrees and hand pluck them when the feathers start to pull out easy.

You can pull the head right off and throw the bird in a shopping bag or something to keep it from getting blood all over.

what are the pros and cons of either plucking or skinning? It seems that skinning is so much easier so I was going to go that route but is there an advantage with plucking?

You can just break there necks. If your looking to do it fast just put one foot on each wing close as you can to the breast then pull by its 2 legs. You will only get the breast then though. I personally only eat the breast so it works for me outside of that id just pluck them there small birds anyhow. Skinning i find tends to make the meat dry aswell but i guess its all personal prefrence.

Last edited:
Skinning takes away the best part in my opinion. Keeps the bird moist while cooking and nothing beats that crunchy skin. Totally up to you though, I have a plucker than can take about 30 at a time so plucking is easier for me. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom