Kind of a bizarre thing....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JensChickies, Feb 7, 2015.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    This is bizarre to me....but my hen is starting to develop a spur! LoL! And only on one leg. Soo bizarre. Anybody have any experience with this??

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hens sometimes do. I have not seen it myself but read about it on BYC.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    All of my Hamburg hens have spurs. Large ones at that.
    I have others that have small spur like nubs but nothing I would call an actual spur.
    The nub on your hen is very small and very normal.

4. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014

Ok...that's good to know. I have noticed it getting bigger though. Can you trim spurs if she does get a larger one?? She's a sweet hen, but I do have a 4 year old that lives to pick them up. I doubt she would ever use it, but maybe she might feel inspired too. Lol....

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    My hens have never tried to spur me. I would be very careful if I ever tried to trim a spur. I would not want to cut it to close and make it bleed.
    Think of it like a dogs toenail to close and the blood will come pouring out. Might want to buy some kwik stop to keep on hand if you intend to try and trim it.
    My avatar is Ducky the Splash Hamburg and her spurs are almost 2 inches long. Quite long but still quite normal. Just have to learn how to hold the legs when you pick them up so you do not get poked by mistake.
    Probably should not be letting the 4 year old pick them up. Both of them could be injured if the hen gets frightened and flaps those wings. A wing feather to the eye is not fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by