Kind of an off the wall question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tharrell, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I have a batch of about thirty eggs that I am about to set, and in the shipment I received today I had four cracked eggs. Well I have recently seen videos and pictures online of people hatching eggs in cups, petri dishes, and plastic baggies and I was wondering what would happen if I attempted this with one of the cracked eggs. I LOVE science (I have a degree in biology) so I am kind of interested to see if it would develop. Has anyone ever seen this, or done this? Should I even try this as an experiment? Thanks!

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    dude google it and see what comes up. if you want to hatch is you can put wax over the crack. let us know what you come up with!

3. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    These are cracks that can't be saved.

4. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    i've seen pictures of this too! and have been trying to find information on it. i think it would be an extremely neat experiment. let me know if you find out anything! [​IMG]

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    So wait, are you talking about hatching it without a shell? [​IMG]

6. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I've seen the cup ones on youtube. The guy who did the experiment said they only terminated the embryos (on purpose) after a few days because they didn't want to find homes for the chicks, so it may be doable. It's worth a try, anyway.

7. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    WOW, how cool, you would have to make sure they were in a pretty sterile enviorment though or I would think they would get infection and die! Good luck with what ever you do though!

8. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    google "shell-less chick embryo" and you get a bunch of neat sites that explain how its done and what is needed [​IMG]
    I'm definitely going to give this a try
    Although. i keep reading the latest stage in development recorded is until day 19.. so i dont know how i feel about leting an almost-born, living, breathing baby chick die for experimental purposes. but who knows.. maybe it'll survive [​IMG] that would be neat

9. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I was thinking it would be pretty cool to see if anything even happens. I do wonder if the chick will live though because I also haven't seen anything online where they show the same chick alive. Who knows I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by