Kind of frustereated with one of my really good friends. . . .

ShellyBear

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
My friend has many chickens and turkeys in not the best conditions and they have mites very bad, and they are thinking of getting chicks now! I know these chickens aren't my chickens but I feel frustrated and sad. My friend knows nothing right now. . . and I have seen what mites and worms can do. Please help me on what to do because I'm truly not sure right now. . . .thanks

2x

If not call the Dept of Health or Humane Society? Sounds like someone has too many animals, perhaps a "hoarder". They love their animals but just get overwhelmed and can't stop. Some even start a "rescue" so they can ask for "donations", we got one on our CL that is known to the pet stores/community.

It's frustrating & sad but think of the animals, they are defenseless.

Last edited:
I am talking with him, and he said he will try but I'm not sure if he will follow through, crossing my fingers. I don't want to make this to big of a deal but I will do my best to help. He doesn't have that many animas. . . .the chickens and turkeys are just not taken care of.

Tough one! While he definitely does need to hear it from someone, the best person is probably not you as he may take it personally and you risk losing your friendship.

I am not suggesting you call the authorities on him but may be you could arrange for someone who he is not friends with to visit his place with you. Even if they were not chicken people, you could give them the general gist of the issue and when you are all there talking about chickens, the third party could enquiringly ask questions about worming and mites etc, during which you could back them up; so not technically lecturing him, just feeding him information which he may digest.

Or, you could frequently mention stories you have seen on BYC about someone losing their chickens to worms or illness etc.

Educate and guide him in such a way that he does not even know he is taking on knowledge and hopefully changing his ways.

Baby steps
wink.png

Edited to change all the she's to he's etc, I mistakenly assumed your friend was female.

Last edited:
Tough one! While she definitely does need to hear it from someone, the best person is probably not you as she may take it personally and you risk losing your friendship.

I am not suggesting you call the authorities on her but may be you could arrange for someone who she is not friends with to visit her place with you. Even if they were not chicken people, you could give them the general gist of the issue and when you are all there talking about chickens, the third party could enquiringly ask questions about worming and mites etc, during which you could back them up; so not technically lecturing her, just feeding her information which she may digest.

Or, you could frequently mention stories you have seen on BYC about someone losing their chickens to worms or illness etc.

Educate and guide her in such a way that she does not even know she is taking on knowledge and hopefully changing her ways.

Baby steps
wink.png

I understand, thank you very much I will try my best.

Back
Top Bottom