kind of gruesome question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 29, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Is there a good way to break open the shell of a egg in which the chick started forming but passed? I wanted to see about where this chick stopped forming for future reference.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You can carefully crack it on a counter just like you would for cooking, OR take a knife and use the blunt side to tap it at the air cell end.

Many of us have done the same thing - it helps to know where things went wrong... and of course we are just morbidly curious too [​IMG]

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Yeah this one even had a name already - we kept calling the egg "swimmy" because of all my darker brown eggs when we candled it you could see it "swimming" all over. I think he must have passed right around day 14 but wanted to open it up. I am on day 22 with 6 potential eggs left and no pips...

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Awww - I hope at least a couple of those last ones hatch for ya!

[​IMG]

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks - tried it with the knife. Worked very well. I had three that looked like they died around day 12-13 since they had some feathers. My husband was like "What are you going to do if you crack one open and it peeps at you!"
    I told them I wouldn't have pulled them if I wasn't sure they were bad.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sorry you lost them. [​IMG] I ALWAYS break every egg I remove. I figure it is a learning experience. So I open them and I generally take a pic or two of each one.

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    If your not sure when they stopped developing if it's not to late OPEN THEM OUTSIDE! There could be some stink involved. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by