Kind of urgent. Need advice re messy hatch.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oregonkat, May 6, 2017.

1. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I have eggs hatching at this moment in my incubator but the first one to hatch was a CCL very early this morning before I was awake and unfortunately he had his intestines on the outside and dragged the mess around with him, poor little thing and had now died. The question is, do I take out the current hatchlings (2 hatched and another 7 pipping and zipping) to clean the mess left by the dead one, or do I just leave it, YUCK, and not interrupt the hatch?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    If you have some currently pipping and zipping I would be afraid about the humidity crash when you lift the lid. It doesn't sound like it would be a quick grab and close so I would be afraid of shrink wrapping the remaining. I'm so sorry about the first little one.

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    im in agreement, so long as it isnt in the way of ones hatching, i would leave it for now
    so sorry about the one lost

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    That was my thought also. The unfortunate thing about this is that both the new little chicks seem to have feasted on some of the debris[​IMG]. Hopefully this stuff is 'fresh' enough that it wont affect them badly. I would not have thought that they would have needed or wanted anything to eat as they are brand new hatched this morning but I guess you cant take the chicken out of chicken, right[​IMG]. I have a third almost out of it's shell now and the others are in a pipping waiting period. Thankfully all these appear healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by