1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

kind of worried this hen is not a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by trtorrence, Jun 26, 2011.

1. trtorrence

trtorrence New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    We got our first 4 chickens last week, and the kid that we got them from said that it was hard to tell if chickens were hens or roosters at the pullet and cockerel age. I am worried about one in particular. S/he is beautiful, and maybe a little too pretty to lay eggs ... my niece picked out this chicken, and I will feel bad if we have to take it back (but at least we were assured that we could bring any back that are not hens). We let them out today for the first time, and all but this chicken rolled in the dirt. This one stood there and looked like s/he was on the lookout. This made me more concerned so I came and did a search and found this site:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are our four all together:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help...

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You have a tough one there. The comb says pullet, but the tail looks boyish. For sure give it a few more weeks (do you happen to know it's age?) but I'm leaning towards cockerel.

3. trtorrence

trtorrence New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    I believe that these chickens are about 9 weeks now. Thanks for the post; the tail feathers were what was worrying me. I actually love the sound of a rooster, but it is illegal to have them where I live.

4. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    The coloring makes me lean towards pullet but I'm not sure.

5. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    It has very similar coloring to my EE pullet.. But the tail isn't like Oreo's. Hmm.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Pretty pullet I think.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It is hard to tell, but look at it's legs do they look thick compared to the other EE girls ya got there if they do it may be a roo?
    Sure is a beautiful chicken , i love the way it is marked" very unique indeed"

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm 99% sure she's a she. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by