kinda aggravating habit

supdude

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
New Orleans, LA
well my 3 chickens follow me all over the yard and i think the 2 little chiks are picking up this habit from the big one, they arent satisfied with following they like to be literally one step ahead of me, i keep kicking them and stepping on there toes and they just dont seem to understand my legs are moving! im walking on eggshells cause i dont want my little chik chiks to dart under my shoe. is this something i hafta get used to or will they ever learn to chill out and walk on the side of me? they keep running and cutting me off and i hafta walk bowl legged to kinda scoop them out the way.

They must think you are their Mother!!!!
lau.gif

oh and
welcome-byc.gif

I have a RIR hen that is 4 yrs old and still does it when she is near me. I walk through yard and flip rocks for my girls to eat bugs. So if Im out walking she usually comes running to me. The others keep a safe distance of my feet. She isn't as bad as it was when she was younger, maybe there is hope for yours. Try throwing feed or treats behinde you as you walk. lol.

Welcome!
Even my hens, 6 years, when I am walking somewhere, sometimes they managed to get ahead of me, and I am always amazed at how they seem to pick exactly where I want to walk and go there. Even though they are trying to get away, they go exactly where I am going, even turn the same direction, how do they know exactly where I am going and stay right in front of me?!!

thanks for the welcome guys, its just a little annoying when they do it, but even if they dont stop ill probably get used to it.

I have kicked and nearly stepped on my Chickie so many times. She has gotten very aggressive toward my feet, bare but especially when I am wearing socks, she charges and peck at them. I am working to break her of the habit, and me, I'm walking much more slowly and deliberately these days.

My RIR hens walk w/me but never get underfoot, the neighbors think its funny when we're out walking together and I'm hoping my other flocks of purebreds will be so friendly w/me when the grow up. Chicks seem to go thru a "fear stage" as puppies do and then become very friendly if you care to interact w/them as pets:cool:

Back
Top Bottom