Kinda funny-fuzzy+poopy butt chick! hellp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Oct 18, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    We just bought two adorable buff cochin female chicks from someone on BYC at a chickenstock meet. We named them Pumpkin and Poppy. [​IMG] Cutest little faces! The person said that they won't get very big.
    Anyway, one day while I was holding Pumpkin, the slightly older one(about 2-5 weeks old) and I noticed that she had a hard ball of poop stuck to her butt! [​IMG] It is mostly stuck in her fuzzy butt feathers, but also to her skin a little. I tried taking it off, but didn't want to risk hurting her by pulling too hard. [​IMG] It's as hard as a rock, that little piece of poop! [​IMG] It kinda look funny when she is walking around and it's hanging there and wiggling as she walks. That would drive me crazy if I were her! [​IMG]
    My question is, how do I get it off??? [​IMG]

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    maybe try holding a damp cloth on it for awhile to soften it and then pulling it off?

3. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    that's exactly what I'd do too.....:eek: The cloth should be slightly warm (not hot) and hold it to her hind end for 30 seconds or so....should loosen it right up and you'll be able to pull it off! Wow! What we won't do for our little feathery friends! [​IMG]

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK thanks! [​IMG] The chicks are at my dad's house and I'm not there until next weekend so I will call him and tell him so he can take it off. [​IMG]

5. kpara

kpara Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    take a wet cloth and remove it

6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    If it gets down to it, you might have to give her a little sitz-bath in a sink of warm water.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I had one once that had that little poop ball on it's butt. I cut it off with a pair of scissors. After I cut it off the best I could I took some warm soapy water and washed her butt then rinsed her butt off. Now you can't tell her from the others. The feathers grew back in beautifully.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  8. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Might need to dunk her hiney in some warm water. Then put a little olive oil on there so it doesn't stick again. Should be back to normal in no time.

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    pulling on it it's too easy to rip irritated skin. they're right try warm water and a cloth, if it removes easily, good. if it's still stuck hard yep soak her butt. long term accumulations cause sores, if you pull fragile irritated skin can rip.

scissors are a short cut, but if you nick the vent you'll be sorry. The safety of it depends on where it is and whether there's any clearance between skin and poop.

Soaking is safer, you can blow dry on low after it's off. just keep moving the dryer back and forth so it doesn't get too hot.

And olive oil makes perfect sense. i'll be using it here tomorrow.

mine don't have hard bits yet, but i'm being really careful. i've seen it go badly.

Good luck.

10. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i got the same thing going on, but mine are 4 days old and i dont wanna get them wet so they dont get sick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by