1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kinda gross, but normal looking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JHortonx5, Sep 14, 2016.

1. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    I had my husband hold two of my girls so I could photograph their vent. One on the left isn't laying, the one on the right has slowed down laying from everyday to maybe 2 a week. Both look like there's yellowish yucky back there. Runny poop in the am, no red bloody show at all. I don't think I see any other symptoms other than not laying.
    Could it be Coccidiosis?

[​IMG]

2. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    Also the one on the right might be molting? Maybe?
    She's looked like this for nearly a month, lately I've been seeing more feathers laying around. Initially, I used Blue Kote to hide maybe red, I was thinking she was being pecked at. Now I think I over reacted. IDK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Coccidiosis tends to affect young chicks, and it is less common (although not impossible) in older birds. Therefore I would be inclined to look for other reasons for your birds loss of form.

It would be helpful if you could give us some more information:

How old are your birds
    How long have their poops been runny (and can you post a photo of a runny poop)
    Has it been very hot where you are recently (hot weather causes a bird to drink lots of water, and can cause runny poops that are really no cause for concern)
    Do your birds preen or scratch themselves excessively (the feather loss doesn't look enough to be molting unless it is in the very early stages, but it could be mites or lice, which tend to collect around the neck and vent)
    Have there been any other major changes to your coop recently (new birds, changing the run, change of feed or bedding... it may not seem important to you, but it may have a major impact on your flock)

The more information you can give us, the more we will be able to help you.

4. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    thank you in advance for your help. [​IMG]
    "How old are your birds" - about 2 yrs old
    How long have their poops been runny (and can you post a photo of a runny poop) . I can post a picture later, but to answer.... on and off for about 3 weeks.
    Has it been very hot where you are recently (hot weather causes a bird to drink lots of water, and can cause runny poops that are really no cause for concern) - ahhh!!! I didn't know that.
    Do your birds preen or scratch themselves excessively (the feather loss doesn't look enough to be molting unless it is in the very early stages, but it could be mites or lice, which tend to collect around the neck and vent)
    - would I see these notes or lice? how much is excessively? I do see them scratch some and they usually preen their feathers when bathing in the garden. I had made a container dust bathtub for them (with DE, wood ash, potting soil, & sand) and put it in their run and after 6 weeks they still wouldn't use it, so I dumped the whole thing into the garden where they do bath and they use it daily. [​IMG].
    Have there been any other major changes to your coop recently (new birds, changing the run, change of feed or bedding... it may not seem important to you, but it may have a major impact on your flock) hmmm, no, I don't think there has been anything changed. My flock is only 3. I've been sneaking veggies into their treats? i.e.: kale and spinach. I chopped it in with some grapes, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries (basically a left over fruit salad.)

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Internal parasites can also cause poopy butts.

X2 on posting a photo of the runny poops. If it's "normal" poops (green/brown clump) with a lot of watery, clear that's just a well-hydrated but hot chicken. If the whole thing looks like runny diarrhea, that could be worms.

Let us know!

MrsB

6. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    After cleaning out the girls hen house this morning, their poops look perfectly normal. Not runny at all. (?) but their butts still look gross. Should I wash them at all?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    It sounds like you are doing pretty much all the right things for your birds. If it has been very hot where you are (and from your answer it sounds like it might have been) then it is not at all unusual to see watery poops.

Chickens will preen regularly and scratch themselves occasionally, but if they have a lice or mite infestation they will be scratching most of the time. Dust bathing is their natural way of dealing with the occasional 'visitor' they may attract, and your dustbath setup sounds like it should be fine for keeping things under control.

Giving them veggies in their diet is excellent - they will love the variety. Just don't overdo it with the fruit - an excess has the same effect on hens as on people [​IMG]

If their butts are still mucky then it won't hurt to give them a gentle bath. Some birds seem more prone than others to getting repeated dirty rear ends - either their poop is wetter than other birds, or their feathers are fluffier, and so the poop tends to stick rather than rolling off!

To wash your birds prepare a large washing up bowl with warm water and a bit of gentle shampoo in it. The water should come up to roughly the top of the chicken's legs. Have a large towel and hairdryer ready to hand, and a sponge or cloth to clean the bird. Stand the bird in the bowl and hold it under one arm (or get someone to do it for you) and use the sponge to moisten their rear end. If there are large lumps of dry poop stuck to the feathers then I rub them between my fingers to break them up. Once you have cleaned as much as you can, place the bird on the towel and pat her dry, then use the hairdryer to dry the feathers. Start the hairdryer on a low speed to begin with, holding it well away from the bird, and then gradually bring it closer so that she doesn't panic. Once she is used to it you can increase the dryer speed, but always keep your hand in the area that you are drying. This is so that you use your fingers to separate the feathers and help them dry quicker, but also to avoid burning the bird's skin - if it gets too hot for your fingers then it's too hot for her too! Even the most nervous of my birds will tolerate the hairdryer once they are used to it - some even go to sleep whilst I am drying them off!

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickenMomma14

ChickenMomma14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    It could be a type of yeast infection. One of my young hens had this once and I had to keep her separate and wash her with a drop of dish soap in a bucket 3times a day and spray vetrycin on her butt. I also gave her some probiotic water (since I had some ready for chicks) and it seemed to help. Like yours she had runny poo and discharge sticking to her feathers. If you don't keep her clean it can be deadly my cousin lost a chicken and I almost did because I didn't catch it very quickly but now she is great[​IMG]

9. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    Thank you. I will look into that too. I will be giving all three a bath tomorrow. And am cutting back some of their feathers from around their vent area. I will watch them from there. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by