kinda like spraddle but not...help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Nov 22, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I have a chick that hatched about 24 hours ago and its having problems. It can't stand or walk. It sits on its haunches really flattened out and most times its wings are extended. Its stance is wide but not like spraddle that I've seen. It doesn't want to put weight on its legs or extend them. I don't think its really spraddle but I'm leaving for thanksgiving and need treatment advice asap before I go on this trip so I can tell my caretaker. Its very cute and sweet. I have it in a separate box in the brooder with the other newest chick to keep her company. It looks just like if a chick laid down to sleep...its legs really look normal just a tad wide. help!

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Slipped tendon.

3. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    on both legs? Oh merciful heavens...I've never treated this and am leaving for a week.

4. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    If it is slipped tendon not much you can do. It is untreatable and they think it is nutrional but I am not sure. I have had 2 hatched with it in 1 leg and on the other both legs, I noticed last night that my incubator temp was set at 98.5 do not know if that is the cause but I set it back to 100. Sorry for the little fellow.

5. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    so it can have it in both legs? I've read that its only in one. I tried to straighten the legs and they are really stiff in that position. Does it sound like slipped tendons? The hocks are swollen I think.

6. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The big tendon /knob on the back of the hock joint will pop back in place when you straighten the leg out and then when you let go it will slip to the side if it is slipped tendon. If the legs are split outward at the hips then it is something else. It can be in both legs .
    Quote:

7. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Poor baby! Will the chick be okay or will it have to be culled? [​IMG]

8. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I tried to straighten the leg and the tendons don't move at all. The legs are very stiff. I don't want to cull...i never have yet. I knew it was inevitable. I just don't know what to do. [​IMG] If I were going to stay I'd try to do something. i don't think its slipped tendon. The legs aren't spraddle either...they're are a bit wide but its like the legs are frozen in place in a bent position. From the moment he got out of his egg he couldn't move right. I figured he'd work it out, but he wasn't like the other chicks that are flopping around and weak. He got out of his egg flopped to the thermometer and rested his head on it and never left there. He'd chirp loudly but for the first 20 hours just stayed there. Then he kinda rolled and shuffled but never walked. He can't even lift his head well because the awkward position.

9. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    This sounds more and more like another incubation related thing that at the moment I cannot think of what it is. I will do some looking.

10. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I made a splint like for spraddle leg, and made a donut out of a sock and his legs are on the bottom and it holds his body up so he's not all flat. He's eating and drinking...if I were going to stay here I think I may be able to rehab him, but the guys taking care of our dogs and chicks really don't want to watch the chicks and want nothing to do with them as it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by