Kinda new with chicks...how good is the memory???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pillzzner, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Pillzzner

Pillzzner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Georgia
    I have a flock of 9....they are about a year old. I got them when they were about 6 wks old. We decided to expand our flock and went to the local feed store and bought 8 babies...they said maybe 2-3 days old. I've had them about a week and can already tell the difference in them even though they all look alike. Wondering if their memory is good as chicks because one of them jumps on my hand every time I go to water or feed them. Like it is almost a game....it will jump on my hand, then my lower arm, then jump down flapping its tiny wings...run around the pen...then do it all over again....every day.... but to no one else. Even if someone new is in the room, it just stares at them but will get on my hand and perch. It's so funny and cute but is this memory? Hoping if its a roo it will be better than the one I have now that attacks me daily...hahaha

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It sounds like a roo, they are usually the brave ones since the others are not mimiking the behavior maybe they are pullets. You can always hope.

3. Pillzzner

Pillzzner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Georgia
    That's what I've been told! No one else mimics "him" they are all very skittish still...some will take food from my hand ..but that same lil' yellow one tries and tries to get closer...tonight while feeding them he actually jumped to my shoulder and just sat there watching the others. They were all marked pullets at the store....but I'm not that gullible....lol hoping my bantams are hens as I have a very mean lil' phoenix roo also.... my hubby says he's tired of building separate pens....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by