kinda runny poop,Tail down and walking wierd

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Daniellek, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Daniellek

Daniellek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    For the past week and a half everytime is pick up one of my hens she has pooped on me a little. Its like her butt is leaking. its not solid, she just leaves a wet mark on me. She has also be walking kind of different and with her tail feathers down. Is she ok? She is still eating and drinking.

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    How old is this hen? Have you checked her for being egg bound if she is old enough to lay?

3. Daniellek

Jul 8, 2013
    I have been getting eggs from her. she has been laying for the last month and half. How do i check if she is egg bound?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can put her in a warm water bath to relax the muscles and maybe the egg will come out. (Feel for an egg.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Daniellek

Jul 8, 2013
    ok ill try that. could she still be egg bound if i am getting eggs from her still?

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I think we might need some more information here. Kinda working in the dark. How old is this bird? When was the last time she laid an egg? any other symptoms that you may have noticed? Anything and everything could be a symptom of something so please tell all.

7. Daniellek

Jul 8, 2013
    She is almost 6 month old. Im pretty sure it was her who laid an one of the 2 eggs i got today. She lays one everyday. I noticed this when i got back from being out of town and went out to pick her up and she diarahaed all down the front of me. she did it the next day too but not as bad. now after like a week and a half she isnt diareahing on me, but when i hold her she leaves a wet spot on me every time. sometimes with the littlest bit of white left on me. she seems to be walking more normal today but leaked on me. She still eats and drinks and is out and about like the others.

8. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Can you do pictures? If she is laying everday, as you said, she isn't bound and it's something else. She is still young enough to be trying to get it all straight, but to be on the safe side, if you could, try to get a picture or two of the discharge. Have you ever treated for coccidiosis? Wormed? there quite a few things that could cause these symptoms...not sure what you've done, so don't know how to reply.

9. Daniellek

Jul 8, 2013
    next time it happens ill try to get some pictures. I havent treated any of my chicken for anything. Are you supposed to deworm and all that stuff like i do my other animals? i never thought that they might need stuff like that.

10. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    If your birds have hit the gorund, been able to run in the grass or pen, then yes, they have been exposed to all kinds of stuff. The trick is trying to figure out what the problem could be. If a treatment for coccidiosis using Corid doesn't work, I switch to Di-Methox after a week of probiotics. If this doesn't work...I go to the Safeguard after another week of probiotics and vitamins. To me, I second guess myself all the time....I normally treat for the cocci first because 9 out of 10, that's what it is, even if it doesn't show all of the symptoms usually seen. If still seeing symptoms after the sulpha, I go to the wormer just in case. You have to look at all of the symptoms as a whole and separately to figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by