Kinda sad, Ollie has lost his crow

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Oct 22, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have grown used to the crowing contests between Impy, our turken cockerel and Ollie, our CX cockerel. These boys can go on for hours. Impy still sounds like a banshee, with a crow that's more like a screech, but Ollie had a fine cockle-doodle-do.
    The other day I noticed that Ollie's crow was getting shorter. Yesterday it was down to just a cockle-doodle; today it's barely a do.
    DH said he's worn out his crower by using it too much, but I feel that he's just gotten so large that he can't get the lung power necessary for a good crow going.
    It's kinda sad. [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

That is sad, poor Ollie.

If you had a recording of his crow, you could play it for him in place of his own voice. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You are really trying to give DH an excuse to have me committed, aren't you? [​IMG]

4. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:You are really trying to give DH an excuse to have me committed, aren't you? [​IMG]

Oooh

this bit would belong on the post about the weirdest thing you do with/for your chickens [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Just thinking of poor Ollie and his missing crow. [​IMG]

Maybe practice with Ollie - getting him to beak-sync with this crow: Make him the long crower of the flock. [​IMG]

I play this over and over for my gang - no one has extended their crow yet! [​IMG] The first one who does, gets a free pass from freezer camp [​IMG]

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Ha! My boyfriend made a recording of our old BO rooster on his cell phone. He wants to figure out how to make it into a ringtone. LOL. I also caught him cueing it up to play for our new Blue Copper Marans roo.... I quickly ended that idea! That one needs to wait as long as possible (preferably until we move in January) so the neighbors don't kill me [​IMG]

7. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It'd be funny if you could train him to peck a button to get the recorded crow... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by