Kinda sad...

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Terri O, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

My finches that are pretty old finally had another clutch of eggs! I was so excited; only one egg hatched and the male did an excellent job of caring for the baby--never really saw her go in the nest! I was gone most of the day yesterday and the baby decided it was time to come out. I found him on the floor of the cage dead and pecked up! Do you think my button quail that lives in the bottom of their cage could be responsible? There is also another pair of finches in the cage of the same kind and they have their own nest but no eggs...I sure hope they have it in them to do another clutch! Terri O

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    it was the other pair I'm positive about it...they got rid of the baby it happens all the time in colony situations

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks V and B...I guess I will separate them if they lay again. It is a large flight cage and I can slip a divider into it. Do you think they will harm the nest itself or only when the babies fledge? Thanks for your input! Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by