kinda upset

sandypaws

Songster
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
desert of calif
so every week i have been adding a dozen of my chicken eggs into the incubator.. at first the hatch rate was bad 2 out of 12.. then after a few weeks of adjusting, hatching got better and better hatching 10 out of 12.. so i decided to BUY some eggs.. from someone here at BYC and i spent quite abit of $$ because i wanted that breed...
i put those eggs in and more of mine...
mine hatched 8 out of 12.. and 7 out of 10...
and NOT ONE of the egg i bought hatched.... NOT ONE!!!!
i know there are no guarentees when buying eggs through the mail.. but NOT ONE HATCHED????? and i know my incubator is working, because my chicken eggs are hatching... jjeeezzzz i was hoping for at least one or two ..
sorry just VENTING and frusterated...

Because the eggs need a slightly different climate at the end of incubation it seems to me it is not a good idea to stagger them, hatching different stages at the same time.
Not sure why only the bought eggs did so poorly. Maybe age, infertile, damage during transport (too hot, too cold, too jostled)? Make sure you give them enough time before you give up on them.

no they were not auracaunas,,( i would expect bad hatching from them).. i did not want to say the breed because only a few people have them...

i have always staggered,, and when the temp is good, i have good hatchings..
and NO my "candler" broke.. have not gotten another one..
and i gave them a full 30 days.. JUST IN CASE..
like i said.. i am getting aprox 6-10 out of 12 from my personal eggs.... so i thought i shoud at least get a few...
oh well,, just very SAD.....

shipped eggs are a gamble,and its frusting to get 0, but it happens to all of us, at least you know it was not you or the bator, when I hatch shipped eggs I keep the humidty at 50% becouse most shipped eggs have detatched air cells. and they seem to hatch better with the higher humidty. If I had shipped your eggs and you got 0 hatch I would offer you more eggs for the price of shipping.

Sorry, that is never fun, but have you tried to contact the person you bought the eggs from? Maybe they could possibly send you replacements or you could buy some more eggs at a lower price... A lot of times people who sell thier eggs are very willing to work with you when you have a really bad hatch, so I would try and get with them to figure something out. Good Luck!

My first 'bought' eggs didn't hatch either
barnie.gif
the ones from my hens that I put in the incubator at the same time did, though !

So, it must have been the handling during shipment.....

The next eggs I bought, cuckoo marans, show development when I candled them ! They are comparable to the eggs from my hens that I put in the incubator at the same time......

Shipment has a BIG DEAL to do with hatchability. So can the way the eggs are packed before they are shipped.

If you get brave enough to buy more eggs to try to hatch, ask the seller to provide pictures of how they will be packed before you send any money to them.

There are BYC members here with VERY good records for shipping eggs. Research is your best friend . . . .

Same happened to me this week. I've had great hatches all along, both my own eggs, and shipped eggs. I stagger the hatches, but something happened this time - only 2 eggs hatched out of 3 shipments. Today was day 23. I know the stress that staggering causes, but always seem to do OK. My own eggs hatched, while the other 30 or so did not. Since these eggs came from different sources, I KNOW the problem was me, or my hygrometer, or something other than the buyer.
sad.png

So sorry for you, it's a real downer, I know.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom