kinda weird/ravenous predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cbenson6820, Oct 14, 2012.

1. cbenson6820

cbenson6820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I did my predator check this morning around 1 Am before going to bed and everything was good. When i woke up this morning i found a chicken in the chicken tractor that had its head pulled through the wire and chewed off. Then when i went to feed the turkeys who roost on a wooden gate i saw turkey feathers everywhere. Apparently something tried to kill a turkey but was unsuccessful(turkeys were unharmed) so then it went and dug up a dead silkie i buried about 2 weeks ago. As if that wasn't enough, it also drug off and ate a dead cornish rock roo that was out on the edge of the property, but that chicken has been dead for well over a month. The cornish rock roo was originally 17 pounds and something came like 2 months ago and ate his head off and about 7 juvenile chickens disappeared that afternoon while free ranging. What ever it was came before 7pm when it was still daylight.

The only predator problem we have had out here is from foxes, except for the attack during daylight and i dont know what caused that. I've only seen one coon and i shot it as soon as i saw it. What do you think caused this attack? I find it very odd that something would be bouncing around the property trying to kill things and then start eating rotten carcases. I know predators will scavenge and will eat stuff thats been dead for a few days but what this thing ate was good and rotten.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Pulling the bird through the chicken wire is classic raccoon. It might have been a mother raccoon with her nearly grown kids causing the problems.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My vote is coon. Been tring to catch one here that reached through a space and tore out one of my pheasant hens wings feathers. Luckly that is all it got of her.

4. cbenson6820

cbenson6820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    i was thinking it was a coon. I've never had any coon issues before. Think it will be back soon?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, I think the coon or coon family is likely to come back. We didn't have any coon problems the first year and a half we lived here and grew a bit complacent. Some coons figured out that they could rip through some of the chicken wire that had become weak with age. Even after we replaced the old chicken wire they kept coming back once they got the taste for chicken. They kept looking for a way in and finally jiggled a loose hinge so much that they were able to open a door into the coop at night. We finally put out traps and got 3 coons over a few weeks. We also rebuilt our chicken run.

Raccoons are determined and clever creatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by