Kinder goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ~*Sweet Cheeks*~, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I'm looking to get my first goats. Looking at a couple of kinder does 7-8 months old.

I'm on 4 acres with lots of pasture, black berries, and HUGE front and backyards and an unused 12' x 12' horse shelter that's currently open in the front I will enclose with door.

Until I get that completed, would two does be safe in my enclosed 12' x 12' horse stall turned chicken coop with my 8 hens who sleep up on a roost? It's warm and cozy in there with saw dust, wood pellets, stall dry, and aspin shavings. Hmm - would a goat eat wood pellets?

Anyone with experience they can share about them would be appreciated.

2. Joecola123

Joecola123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    ive heard rumors that goats basically eat anything so idk about the wood shavings

3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Hmmm ... I wouldn't exactly rule it out, I've known them to eat baling wire and beer cans at times.

Make sure that they can't climb out. They are quite clever about getting on lower things and working their way up, and even larger breeds of goats can stand with all 4 feet a top something smaller than a wooden fence post and jump from there.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Goats are actually picky eaters but the pine shavings would probably be bad for their lungs. They would probably inhale the dust from all the chickens. Not to mention that the chicken feed wouldn't be good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by