Kindergarten Piggies! Pics**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bec, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Here are the guinea pigs that I picked up over the weekend for my daughters school! I am having a hard time with the idea of parting with them, so I think maybe piggies of our own will be in the future!

These are both little girls, hoping they are not pregnant! They were housed with 2 boys and 3 other girls. Are the chances pretty good? They don't show any signs of being pregnant and I am not sure if they have had babies in the past.

This is Daisy
    [​IMG]

And this is Nibbles
    [​IMG]

2. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Very cute and they look sweet too! If they were in a cage with males that same size/age there is a very good possibility both are pregnant! If the males were the same age or older I would just treat the girls as if they were expecting

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Very cute! I'd wait to buy your family a guinea pig..i bet you'll have babies soon.. [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Daisy looks preggers to me.
    Better get online and do a search of how to care for pregger cavies (just finished reading up on it myself...)

5. Bec

In your opinion, what is it that makes her look pregnant? Just out of curiosity!!

I would LOVE to give the babies a home!! I will have to keep a close eye, they will be at school so I will make the teacher aware!

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Her back end looks as round as the GP we adopted Saturday that is probably preggers. Cinderella is definitely more 'pear shaped' than long...

But I'm a noob to GP's. So it's just a guess.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am almost 100% they are preggo. I used to breed cavies (guinea pigs) and I had to remove the boys from their mom at 3 weeks, because from 3 weeks on, they can get momma pregnant. If they are, be careful with the babies, its very easy to sex piggies, but don't want to have the son breed the mom [​IMG]

8. Bec

Here is another pic, almost the same as the other one I posted, but I figured I would post it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bec

Quote:WOWZA! 3 weeks??? Wow, I had no idea I would have this much to think about!! Good thing I got a nice big cage for my house! Looks like I may have some babies on the way!

Do I have a lot to worry about when it comes to their age and complications?

10. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Do you know how long they lived with the boys? Sows are only able to get bred 2 times a month. There is so much involved with preggo piggies, I am not trying to scare you, but I learned alot of it the hard way [​IMG] PM me and I can give you as much info as you want [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by