1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

kinds of chicken....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flywithme21, Aug 11, 2014.

1. flywithme21

flywithme21 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    i want to know which kinds of chicken can give many eggs....i eat egg everyday so im thinking to raise my own chicken. we have big land, my grandfather has a chicken before in that land. we have house for the chicken already, i just dont know where to start.

2. KateLandChick

KateLandChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    East Iowa
    Hens like to have a friend around so get two. I've heard that Red Star sex linked are great layers. I'm new here too but, welcome!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - if egg production is your primary goal, sex links or leghorns are a no fail choice.

4. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
    for good egg production i would get australorps they are the best laying breed in the world.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 if you are looking strictly at egg numbers the Red Sex Links and White Leghorns are the two tops, here are some nice chicken breed comparison charts you might like http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html and http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf when you have narrowed down your choices, don't forget to check the BYC Reviews section for member reviews on the different breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds and https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread and check out your state thread for what breeds people in your area are having success with

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Lots of great egg layers out there. The Leghorns are some of the best layers, Sex Links, Orpingtons to name a few.

Good luck in which ever breed you go with and welcome to our flock!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

If you are just wanting eggs then the best breed is the leghorn. However, they are flighty and skittish. Sex links are great layers and they are a bit more docile. If you are wanting pet layers then you should get either the buff Orpington or black australorp. They are good layers and very affectionate and friendly. They are also quieter. If you are the kind of person who is going to cook the birds once they quit laying then leghorns are probably not your best bet. Buff orps and black australorps are a better bet as they are meatier.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. For sheer egg production, White Leghorns are the best layers, under ideal conditions (good lighting and warm temperatures). A caged White Leghorn set the world laying record in 1979 with 371 eggs in 365 days. However, Leghorns are very high strung and flighty, and in areas with very cold winters, Black and Red Sex Links, which are the best brown egg layers in the world, will outlay them. Sex Links are laying machines, consistently churning out over 300 eggs per hen per year. I have had both varieties of sex links and actually prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been friendlier and have slightly outlayed my Reds in really cold weather. If you prefer a standard breed (sex links are hybrids and will not breed true), then Black Australorps are the direction to go. They are very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best standard, brown egg laying breed. Until it was broken by the White Leghorn hen in 1979, they world laying record was held by a Black Australorp with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while my BAs have never reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I have had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever kind of chickens you get, good luck with your flock.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What ever breed you decide on try to get 3 or more. Chickens are flock animals and do much better with buddies. If you have only 2 and a predator takes one of them, you will have to get another companion for the survivor - adding new birds to established ones is not easy.

10. KateLandChick

KateLandChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    East Iowa
    Good point, drumstick diva!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by