King George has injured his left ankle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hwiskow, Mar 12, 2015.

1. hwiskow

hwiskow New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Hello, I am new to the forum and am asking for help already!!

I have a nearly 2 year old Jersey Giant rooster named, King George the Merciful. He is very kind, very protective, and very large.

To get in and out of the coop, he must jump. That is alot of weight on his joints and he has now injured his left leg at the ankle joint. His ankle is very swollen and he has a heavy limp. I will get some pictures when I get home. I have some vet wrap that I am going to use to wrap his leg, much like a runner would wrap their knee.

I am looking for any other options I could try. Should I sling up his leg so he can't use it? Should I just let him be and hope for the best?

I will be adding a ramp to the coop entrance so he does not have to jump in and out anymore.

Also, I live near Eugene Oregon. Does anyone know of a Vet in my area that will treat chickens? I have not had any luck finding one.

Thank you
    Heather

2. sarnold1

sarnold1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    I don't know anything about vets in Oregon because I don't live anywhere near the but I can give you some advice:
    1. Wash his legs off gently but well
    2. Heat up a bath or fill a tub with warm water
    3. Add Epsom salt to the water
    4. Put the rooster in the tub
    5. Soak his leg as long as the water is warm
    6. Take him out of the tub
    7. Dry him off well
    8. Wrap his leg
    After these steps I would keep him closed up as close to food and water as possible so he doesn't have to get up unless he just wants to. So just keep food and water really close to him but give him some space. You should also keep him warm/cool depending on the climate. Just make him comfortable and keep him safe!
    P.S. I'm 13 and this just what I would do. Do what you want!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by