King quail not growing

Ae18

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
Hi,

I lost my beautiful lightest (coturnix?) quail so I found a breeder on Gumtree and requested a light coloured female cinnamon quail. One year later, it appears this quail is a male red breasted king quail that will not grow. I have kept it and the other 3 adults on the same starter feed and they get fresh vegetables everyday.
I can no longer find this breeder but I would like to know why my quail has gone from chick to permanently this size. It also never lets me handle it so I’ve not enjoyed one but having this quail.

Attachments

• 568FEA4A-768B-49F6-9819-104D31887C51.jpeg
    568FEA4A-768B-49F6-9819-104D31887C51.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 84
  • F0740AE6-EADB-4BCE-985D-6F800899AC7B.jpeg
    F0740AE6-EADB-4BCE-985D-6F800899AC7B.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi,

I lost my beautiful lightest (coturnix?) quail so I found a breeder on Gumtree and requested a light coloured female cinnamon quail. One year later, it appears this quail is a male red breasted king quail that will not grow. I have kept it and the other 3 adults on the same starter feed and they get fresh vegetables everyday.
I can no longer find this breeder but I would like to know why my quail has gone from chick to permanently this size. It also never lets me handle it so I’ve not enjoyed one but having this quail.
That is a Button quail....that's 'full grown', it will not get any bigger! BTW, it is a male.

Hi,

That is a button quail not a coturnix. They are the worlds smallest kind of quail so he will stay that size. If you could, seperate him from the Coturnix so he doesn't get hurt, and get him a mate of his own.

Back
Top Bottom