King suro 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarah wholey, Feb 1, 2015.

1. sarah wholey

sarah wholey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Just bought the king suro 20 incubator. On my first attempt I only got 1 chick. I think it may have something to do with my humidity....Has anyone got any tips for me?
    Thanks

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not familiar with the type of bator. Are youthinking the humidity was too high or too low? Is it stil air or forced? What temp was it ran at?
    If you feel the humidity was too high you want think about trying dry incubation for the next hatch. Ifyou feel the humidity was too low, up it for lockdown/hatch to 75% or more. You can use wet sponges/clothes in the bator to help with highering and holding the humidty.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear you only had one hatch :hugs Do you have a hygrometer to measure your humidity? Or does the incubator have a built in one. I shoot for 45% day 1-18 then 65% for lockdown. The humidity needs to be an average over the entire incubation period. Short term variations should not be a problem as long as your average has been ok and the eggs have lost enough moisture in order for the air sacs to grow large enough for the chick to pip into. Too much humidity and the air sac may not grow enough and have too much moisture when the chick pips it could drown. It may not just be humidity have your temps been ok? Have you double checked with another thermometer that it's running at the correct temp. Some say factory set but they are not. Have you had all vents open so the eggs get as much oxygen as possible? Do you have auto turn? If hand turning should be 3 times per day but 5 is better. We're these eggs posted to you? Posted eggs have a lower hatch rate due to being roughly handled. This is a great article on hatching with lots of other links to great info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

1 person likes this.
  4. sarah wholey

sarah wholey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    It's all automatic and I had it on 37.5 degrees and 45% humidity for the first 18 days then raised it to 65% humidity however it never sempt to reach 65 it was around 61 for the last days. I never thought that then home might not be correct I shall out a thermometer in it to double check. As I said it is fully automatic forced air. But even tho I set it at 65 it wouldn't get that high so how can I raise it higher? I presumed if I set it at a figure it would make sure it reached it....

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    How does the incubator raise the humidty? Does it pump the water in? Usually to raise the humidity you need to add more water. The surface area of the water creates the humidity and not depth of it. Wet cloths or sponges work well to raise it.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Have just had a look at your incubator and from the reviews I have read I would reccomend you get a hygrometer to place in your incubator to check that it's reading correctly. Many of the reviews I read say the humidity reading is off sometimes upto 10% or more. Hope this helps and that you can get it sorted out soon ready for your next hatch.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use wet sponges in mine at lockdown-hatch. It works well for me to get my humidity up there and hold it. (I run my humidity 75% or more during hatch.) The built in gages on incubators are often wrong and shouldn't be trusted unless they've been checked. I also never (anymore) use just one thermometer in my bator. I would not trust just one thermometer at any given time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by