Kipp Glazier New Egg Farm Name

kglazier

Chirping
May 17, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I am fairly new to BYC. I live with my wife, daughter, and MIL (ugh) in Wrightsboro. It's a suburb of Wilmington North Carolina.

Currently I have:
pullets:
2 white leghorns 10 months old.
2 Rhode Island Reds 10 months old.
2 cookoo marans 12 months old.
7 Buff Os 5 months old.
2 RIR/lakenvelder mix 7 months old.
2 bantams.
Rosters:
1 RIR/lakenvelder mix 7 months old.
1 large serama. He is a very good Roo. findd foods for the hens when they're ranging. Let them eat first. Watches for predators. Drew the attention of a fox away from the hens. our dog was able to chase the Fox away. Unfortunately i've had to put him and the two Bantam in their own coop. The day the other roosters started acting like a rooster the serama tried to kill him. I know that's the way of things but I wish they could've stayed in the same coop. Interesting seeing a tiny little chicken beat the heck out of a chicken 5 x its size.

My daughter has named them all. How she tells the buffs apart I have no idea.

I'm looking for ideas for the name of our little chicken ranch. I have a waiting list for eggs. And I think I'm going to start some boilers this spring. I know it's really a farm not a ranch but I like the word ranch better.

Tell me how you came up with the name for your farm or ranch.

I'm going to start selling eggs at a local flea market and to neighbors. I'd like to do business with a good name.

Last edited:
Welcome in, nice group of birds. If your serious about selling you might want to look at concentrating on a laying breed that will produce for you. If it only part-time a mix flock is fine.

As for name, go "local" whatever you use. Local landmarks, local history, location of your farm, particular scene around your farm. We sell lots of honey and folks want it local, not shipped in. We went thru a lot of name suggestions before finally settling on ours. Good luck with your endeavor.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you onboard with us
frow.gif

Hope all your chicken ventures work out well
D.gif

I had not planned to have such a mix. I intended on having RIR and Leghorn only. I lost 3 leghorns at 8 weeks of age. I was had my first RIRs. They were supposed to be all pullets ( 90% anyway) Ended up with 2 pullets and 8 cockerels. Will not be going back to that feed store. I was able to trade the 8 roos for 2 marans and 3 rir/lakenvelder. the buffs came to me from a friend of a friend that had a buff go broody in the fall. He didn't want anymore hens and gave them to me.

I am still researching I think I am going to order either RIRs or Black Astrlops (sp). I wanted to go with leghorns because if the lower feed consumption but everyone wants brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom