Kitchen Cabinet Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BoulderCityFoul, Jul 5, 2010.

1. BoulderCityFoul

BoulderCityFoul Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Boulder City, NV
    Our girls are getting big, so we thought we'd better take advantage of the weekend to work on our...ahem, I mean their coop. We went through many designs; some made from scratch, some using a cat house/dog house. After much pondering, we decided to build one from scratch. During our visit to the local home improvement center, we ventured into the kitchen cabinet section. There, we saw a 30" sink base cabinet on clearance sale. So much for the building from scratch idea! After building a roof and a few coats of paint, our coop is nearly finished! I want to hinge the false drawers so they can control ventilation. I also want to put mesh over the upper vents to prevent critters from pestering our girls.

From this...
    [​IMG]

To this...
    [​IMG]

I will add more progress shots to my page later today.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Great job!!! very clever!!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

very creative, nice job.

Imp

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Never would have thought of that, great idea!!! keep posting progress.

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Great idea for just a couple of chickens. I am using a kitchen cabinet for my exterior nest box in the coop I am working on now-

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    You must be like me! I invision a chicken coop in anything that I see! [​IMG]

7. BoulderCityFoul

BoulderCityFoul Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Boulder City, NV
    Here's the inside. We can open the doors to clean it out. The floor is peel-n-stick linoleum. The door on the right is for the girls to get out each morning. The door on the left allows us access to the nestbox. This will suit our two hens just fine. If our flock grows, we'll need another cabinet! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    That's awesome! Way to think outside the box! [​IMG]

9. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    We have some old cabinets down in the cellar....now you got me thinking........[​IMG]

10. Mama C

Mama C Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    That is a GREAT idea! I have a feeling some of my she-chicks are actually he-chicks and they're going to need some temporary digs before they go to the big bachelor pad in the sky. I already have an old vanity cabinet that I should have thrown out years ago. Thanks for posting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by