Kitchen Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by squirescastle, Jan 24, 2014.

1. squirescastle

squirescastle Just Hatched

Jan 23, 2014
    Missouri
    Hi All, I have a story about a young hen my husband found one very cold night on the coop floor. She was cold to the touch, stiff, and he didn't want to "dispose" of her in the dark, so carried her to the barn. On the way, she kicked in his hand, so he put her on a bed of straw under a light bulb. When he came in and told me, I couldn't bear the thought of her dying in the bitter cold all alone, so I brought her into the house. She was a bloody mess. Her eye was swollen and bloody, her head was pecked so bad her skull was showing, she was stiffening and lifeless but still breathing.

We put her in a box on some hay and a bowl of warm water. I dipped her beak into the water and she drank. She couldn't stand up so we held her in front of the bowl while she proceeded to dip her whole head until she had soaked most of the dried blood. Her eye was stuck shut, my husband got a Q-tip with a gob of triple antibiotic ointment and patiently worked her eye open.

We left her laying in the hay until the next morning. Much to our surprise, she was standing up. She had made it through the night, that was a very good sign. I continued to apply the ointment, each time having to work her eye open, it kept sticking shut. She slowly began to accept food, drank lots of water, and after many days, began to hop out of her box.

I learned how to sew chicken diapers, after many fittings we finally got it right. We named her Kitchen Chicken. The dogs and all 4 cats accepted her as one of the family. She ruled the roost.

In the Spring, I started letting her out the back door away from the flock that tried to murder her. She would peck on the glass door when she was ready to come back in. Weeks turned into months and we wondered if she could ever rejoin the flock. One morning my husband said Kitchen Chicken doesn't sound too good. My heart fell. She was rasping and sounded congested. We didn't know it at the time, but she was getting broody. She laid one egg and I put 3 more from the bowl of fresh eggs in the kitchen. Would she hatch them? Yes!

Kitchen raised her 4 little chicks in the bathroom until they got too big, then we moved them to a pen in the barn. When the chicks were old enough, we moved them to an enclosed stall next to the main coop. The first time the rest of the flock saw her, a couple of hens tried to pick a fight, which Kitchen Chicken responded like a professional boxer! She had gained the respect of the rooster too, he would hang out with her and the chicks, protecting them from the others. In the evening, when all headed to the coop to roost, Kitchen Chicken took her young to their separate coop, until one day, she took the baby's to the main coop. I worried and fretted as to what may happen. After dusk, when they were all in, we went to lock them up and much to our surprise, the babies were all in one of the next boxes and Kitchen Chicken was on the very TOP roost next to the rooster!

She had gone from pecked to death to the Queen! There is a chicken-taught lesson of some kind here for all of us. My daughter made this video for us to enjoy.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have ya here with us [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take care ya all [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Loved your story

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Remarkable story, Kitchen Chicken sounds like a wonderful hen.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Great Story.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and by any chance, are you from Ohio?? [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Great story and video - welcome to BYC.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by