Kitchen Scraps and Organic Eggs

ChickenGirl2010

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
What kinds of scraps can I not feed my birds if I want to sell my eggs as organic or does it matter as long as I'm not directly giving them medicated feed?

If you're selling your eggs as organic they have to be certified, it's not a descriptor you can throw around like words like "natural." It's not a simple process unfortunately.

My assumption would be that any treats you give them would have to be organic certified as well as their feed.

You can feed any kitchen scraps that are entirely certified organic.
If you only buy organic produce and meat and add nothing non-organic to your food prep process, that would be ok.
However if you consume anything non-organic, then it isn't ok.

As Rosemary said, to be certified organic, all intake must be certified organic including foraging areas can't have had chemical fertilizers, fungicides or pesticides applied in the last 3 years. This too has to be verified.
What you can do is say that the birds have been fed organic feed but that doesn't make the eggs certified organic.

Last edited:
As the above posters already said, you can't sell eggs as 'organic' unless you have your farm certified as organic, a difficult and expensive process. You can say that you feed the birds organic feed, unless you give them anything not organic, or treat their run and 'free range' areas with anything not approved organic. Mary

okay thank you that's something a long the lines of what i thought might be the case thanks for you responses!

Back
Top Bottom