kitchen ware suggestions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, Oct 15, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I want to get a new set of silverware. We have mix and match stuff because we just added extras as the family grew. I want something nice and sturdy, honestly I am sick of having to constantly fix my spoons. Suggestions?

Also looking for a straw dispenser(the ones I have tried drop them everywhere). Thinking about quality one that you pick up a piece near top and it lifts one out for you but don't know if these are any good?

And looking for toothpick dispenser, had same problem as straw dispenser...

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    We have Oneida stainless flatware, I think it's very nice. Don't see how it could not last a lifetime, with minimal care and no accidents.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Can't help much. Our straw dispenser the lid lifts off and you grab out a straw and the toothpick dispenser is hopeless, trying to shake out 1 toothpick through the little holes [​IMG]
    Silverware, I bought at walmart, but it is nice and heavy so I knew it wouldnt fall apart too soon, or bend or have the handles fall off like the clear/colored acrylic ones. I like my silverware...it has a nice twirly pattern on the handles.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Kitchen ware???? Ware something comfortable and safe to cook in. [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    If you have a Kohl's near you, I suggest find what you want and wait for it to go on sale. We got our new silverware at 60 percent off. It is nice, but not top of the line. But it to me means someone paid full price (not me). Also, they have lots of gadgetry like straw and toothpick dispensers too.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The trick to Silverware is to feel it, before you buy. You need to feel the weight and balance in your hand, before you buy. The balance is important, and depends on how hold your silverware in your hand. Also I would invest in a good ice cream scoop. Most silverware is not designed to handle scooping out hard things like ice cream. Also get a good collection of cooking utensils. Oxo is a very good brand, and not extremely expensive. I don't use my silverware to stir things like cookie dough. I always try to use the right tool for the job.

and buy the best you can afford to buy. I would rather find things on a real clearance sale, or at the best sales price. That way I can get a better quality product at a more affordable price. Also if you find a brand and style, check on line with places like Amazon for better price.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by