Kite?-never saw one until today*** update

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dinahmoe, Jun 24, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i live in georgia and i ahve never seen these before.i saw one yesterday land on top of a tree pretty close to the chicken yard.it was grey with a white head.its body looked like a seagull and when it flew reminded me of a swift,very pointy wing and tail tips.it didn't look like it had a big beak,almost like a parrot vs hawk.i googled and found these.apparently they migrate over in the summer and eat small birds and reptiles.i couldn't really get a size on it but it seemed like maybe coopers hawk size.
    does anyone know anything about them personally and most important will they take my chickens?most of my chickens are around 8-10lbs(reds and rocks)

BTW he is back today with a friend [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    As long as you don't have any young chickens they shouldn't bother them cause we have them and they don't bother ours. [​IMG]

3. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:cool!
    it was very pretty and it kinda took me off guard.i did get fairly close before it flew off.
    thanks

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Swallowtail kites?? Arent they totally spectacular?? I have several in the acreage next door always swooping and divebombing over there, I think they are after all the grasshoppers. Never had them even show the slightest interest in my chickens.

Fabulous birds!!!

5. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    How cool is that??? I'd love it if we had kites!! We do have some brown shouldered hawks that stay around here. Hear them a lot, and see them, especially in the spring.

6. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    now i have to get a picture.why i never have my camera or phone with me when i see something neat.
    its beak just didn't look like it could be a viscious creature but yes very graceful.i hope they just want grasshoppers and mice.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They were flying around here a couple of months ago, seemed to circle over the chicks grow out pen but the chicks were well protected. My rooster was sounding his alarm and keeping a close eye on them as well.

8. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    just to add an update.we now have 6 kites flying around daily.they have flown right over the chickens while they were free ranging(With me watching).they started to dive bomb and i tensed up but they never showed any interest in the chickens.they would swoop down and fly back up and get the june bugs out of their talons.so i am less nervous now and enjoy them.just hope that a red tail or coopers doesn't try to blend in with them.

i did notice that the chickens didn't seem to panic and there were also crows near by who showed no interest.the crows usually chase off the coopers and red tails so i think they kwno that the kites are harmless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by