kitten attacked 1 month old chick, update..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OHhappychicks, Jul 27, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    just came home and discovered kitten had a chick. it has a few punctures and its left foot is all but gone. it has the back toe and a stub of another. what should i do? it is alert and trying to get down. i had a time catching it as it can still move rather quickly. i have some antibiotic spray for animals. should i apply that and wrap the foot in gauze & vetwrap? the mommy is having a fit, looking for her baby.[​IMG]
    Baby is resting, but still hasn't drank or eaten. I'm giving it oral anitibotics, but it isn't going to do any good if it doesn't ingest it any time soon. It has it in the water and I mixed it in some of its feed mixed w/yogurt. How long should I wait? Infection is going to set in quickly if the antibiotics doesn't take affect soon. It has its eyes closed and just sitting. Do you think if I put it back in with its mother, separated from the others, it might help it recover more quickly? This is so stressful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    With punctures, it will likely need oral or injected antibiotics too - cat bites are notorious for developing abscesses. Hopefully others will pipe in about the foot - your proposed treatment sounds reasonable and, with the chick being young, the foot might heal/scar over enough that the chick will be able to use the limb as it gets older.

3. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Maybe cleaaning out the wound will be best then bring her and her mum indoors where its safer..
    Hope someone chimes in with more help.
    Hope she pulls through..
    Daisy.xx

4. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    thank you so much! I was wandering what to clean them out with? And can I buy oral antibiotics at tsc and if so, what kind?

5. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I've never done any injuries on my chickens but i've seen a lot of people suggest saline solution.. Just salty water. I don't know hope someone helps soon..
    Daisy. xx

6. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Not sure what oral antibiotics are best - only ones I have had to use were on a full grown rooster and we used the injectible kind - not something I'd want to do on a chick. Search this portion (Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures) of the forum for "oral anitbioitcs" - I am sure the details are there along with dosages. As for flushing out the wounds, for the foot, I would tend to just use a topical (Neosporin or a spray on antibiotic like Blue Lotion or Blue Kote). I know we have used hydrogen peroxide and Blue Lotion on the chickens as well as betadine, all to flush or disinfect wounds. And the salt solution is good too. Whatever you hjave on hand until you can get to TSC or your local farm store to get the antibiotics. Good luck!

7. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I have Duramycin-10. Will this be ok to give it and how much to a pt of water? It says 400-800mg per gal of water. Would anyone know what the conversion of ml to tsp. I know it would be an 1/8th of this, 50-100mg, but I would like to know in spoons. Btw, I got it all cleaned with saline water and bandage the foot with the iodine(?) mixture. Which I just checked and has come off! It is kinda breathing hard, so here's hoping it isn't stressed to much. [​IMG] Thanks BYCers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by