1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kitten for Chicken barn? You have one?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by secuono, Dec 10, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Does anyone have a cat with their chickens? Barn cat/kitties living with birds?
    I was thinking of finding a kitten, low play/prey drive, calm, lazy and raising it in my barn with my chickies.
    Has anyone gotten a cat to live with their birds?
    How did it go? What should I look for/look out for?
    Pictures?

2. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    Eggselent idea... I am going to get a kitten to raise up just to keep the rat vermin at bay in the coop.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Mine don't live with them full time but they hang out with them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one's in the pictures where just dropped off, and my other ones where here before the chickens, but I've never had any problems.

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, this kitten will be the only outdoor cat, our two cats are indoor only. Unless they are on a leash or in the kennel. One is a predator, other is lazy, lol.

5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Mine are indoor/outdoor, and even my most predatory cat (Blue Eyes, who can take out rabbits twice her size) don't bother the birds.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Mine are indoor/outdoor, and even my most predatory cat (Blue Eyes, who can take out rabbits twice her size) don't bother the birds.

Mine caught a mouse in the house, was on it before I saw it. She went into the chicken room once and went for an adult bird I had in there, so...no trusting her.

The outdoor/barn cat would be more of a expendable cat, since outdoor cats live 3-6 years average and with our crazy road in front of us, that might be true.

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    As long as you have full grown chickens and a kitten, then it would probably be ok. . . that way the chickens can defend themselves if they need to. I have 6 cats, 4 of whom are indoor/outdoor, and now that the chickens are adults, the cats stay well away. Even my critter-killer cat stays out of their way. In fact, yesterday she was "playing" with a rat she had caught, and the chickens got interested. When one got too close, she hissed at the pullet, but she knew that chicken would peck the heck out of her if she did anything else.

8. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Well....in the beginning, it was new chicks and not very old kittys.
    Chicks are not as fast as kittycats.

Some time goes by...chicks are now real life-size chickens. My cats
    seem to know better than trying them out.

Now the rooster...He must remember the days when he was a baby roo.
    Cats are NOT his friends. As long as the cats don't get to close, the rooster
    doesn't bother them. If they ruffle his feathers, Rooster will chase them.

For the most part, they're fairly friendly with each other.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    My kitties guard the outside. They have been around the free ranging duck and a couple roos day and night, with no problems.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont think its a good idea to ever have a cat outside. I'd find another way..
    Thats just me though..
    I'd also worry about a kitten being too "playful" and clawing or biting a hen.. cats saliva can be toxic to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by