Kittens have arrived. (pictures included, one odd colored baby)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gypsy2621, May 6, 2009.

1. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Has any one ever seen a chocolate tabby kitten or cat before ?
    I have one in this cats litter , I was totally blown away.

[​IMG]

litter of 6

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Their colors change so much from that age until adults, no telling what they may turn out like.
    If it is chocolate colored as an adult that would be really interesting.

3. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    sooo cute!!! I want one! [​IMG]

4. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I was interested about this Chocolate cat thing and it turns out persian breeders and ragdoll breeders breed this color in particular because it is relatively rare.

This is considered "chocolate" but I think I would have just called it dark gray or brownish black if it were me.
    [​IMG]

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Neat, I hope you will keep updating pics so we can see how it looks as it grows.

I have a cat that went through some odd changes when he was a kitten, was actually the reason I named him Wonder. As an adult I don't think his color is anything unusual.

6. gypsy2621

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was talking with a tech about the genetics involved with bringing out a chocolate kitten, and according to her , the Siamese gene is responsible for the color, If Mother has Siamese in the back ground somewhere and it will eventually express itself.
    Where the mother is a dump off I have no history on the cat, so who knows whats behind her for genetics.

what really makes me cranky is I am reeding french lops for the chocolate gene and it keep eluding me, now it shows up in of all places a kitten , just my luck.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had an absolutely gorgeous calico persian that had a rich hershey chocolate color to it. It was right next to the strip of black, so it was obvious it was brown, not black. She was also an inside cat, so no sun-bleaching. [​IMG] She was white, with the colors on her back that looked like someone took 2-3 inch strips of orange/black/brown fabric and laid them across her back. She was really beautiful.

That is a really unusual colored kitten. I know that burmese and tonkinese cats can have those muted brown colors. They have siamese ancestry, so that explains it.

As far as your rabbit project, do they not have the siamese colored french lops? (I don't know anything about rabbits) I know there are other rabbits that have siamese colors. [​IMG] Seems like if there were, you could breed those back to yours.

Good luck with your project and congratulations on the kittens!

Shelly

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've seen chocolate kittens before. They were of the ragdoll variety and lovely kittens/cats!

9. gypsy2621

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:French Lops do not come in siamese believe it or not , its the one color they dont have lol. but there is a tort variety. Not the same gene but close , I will try and get a pictre of the solid tort doe.

I have had Simese Satins but do not want to put that nightmare fur on my french. it never goes away and will come back to haunt me forever. every rabbit from that breeding will carry the satin gene. And it will usually pop out on the rabbit with the best body, making it useless for showing.
    Supposedly doubling up on the tort gene will give you a 1 % chance of chocolate, I have yet to see it express itself though.

If I could get my hands on a true chocolate french buck I could likely pull the color forward but it will take line breeding to express it correctly.
    Its the med/dark chocolate color I am striving for but in the 3 years of attempting it, I have been skunked every time lol. I could throw a chocolate rabbit in the mix up but again the undesirable traits will take a long time to supress. and again it will come back to haunt me.

I have Tort and Broken Torts in 3 different litters ( 5 week olds) only one "may" be a true chocolate tort but thats sbject to change as it gets older. it can and usually darkens to the normal black torting color.
    breeding for color is sometimes very frustrating to say the least.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I had a Siamese rabbit when I was younger, Henry was a huge bunny, and looked just like my mother's Siamese cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by